15 Songs To Listen To This Week If You're Sick Of 'Capsize'

Nothing against Frenship, but there are other tunes that deserve a replay.

763
wordpress lauren kuni

While 'Capsize' and other popular hits are fun and natural choices for setting the mood, adding more diversity to your playlist could change everything. Getting out of my own musical comfort zone took a while, but once I did, my world grew a little bigger and I think everyone's nights deserve some more spice. I have highlighted some of my favorites, ranging from British indie rock to future house to American classics that are sure to delight or transfix. Enjoy these suggestions and do check out other songs by these influential artists!

1. 'Rachet' by Bloc Party

With a striking title, bopping beat and Gustavus-style lyrics like 'Make it Count', 'Rachet' is a fun and appropriate theme song for any evening.

2. 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' by Arctic Monkeys

If Alex Turner's looks aren't enough for you to jump on the Arctic Monkey's party bus, this gem will. It is also impossible to play this song and not dance. It also has the magical effect of making anyone appear to be a fantastic dancer, and who doesn't want to celebrate 'dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984'?!

3. 'Fitzpleasure' by alt-J

Inspired by a chapter from Hubert Selby Jr.'s novel about the brutality of urban life and queer culture, Last Exit to Brooklyn, alt-J succeeds in more than just a good tune with this one. If you really want to explode with feeling, read the novel and listen to the song simultaneously, you will not be disappointed.

4. 'This Modern Love' by Bloc Party

A different purpose than 'Rachet', 'This Modern Love' deals with the emotional struggles of our generation. While about love and heartache, the song will leave you feeling like you have just had fresh chocolate croissant. For free. From Paris. With your lover. And a puppy.

5. 'Next Girl' by The Black Keys

Motivating and annoyingly catchy, the simple lyrics ring true to any amount of angst.

6. 'Piercing Light' (Mako Remix) from the League of Legends

With a killer buildup and energetic drop, this remix, delightfully from a video game, will serve to ignite the atmosphere of any room. If something epic happens after it is played, do not be surprised.

7. 'Supersoaker' by Kings of Leon

A unique sound, somewhere between country and rock, the Kings don't disappoint with a classic that is charged with swift riffs and Caleb Followill's soothing vocals.

8. 'What Katie Did' by The Libertines

The Libertines, widely popular in the UK, have yet to strike a chord States side, and with this fun song, surely should have a place. Plus, any song with made up words is sheer gold.

9. 'Bloodbuzz Ohio' by The National

The idea of a 'Bloodbuzz' is beautifully crafted, and although I don't know anything about Ohio, I now plan to befriend a swarm of bees so they can carry me there, whilst enjoying the smooth honey of the lead singer's voice.

10. 'Start Me Up' by The Rolling Stones

Because no good music list would be complete without a Stones song, this classic should not be relegated to 'the oldies' and left to gather dust in the nostalgia of perhaps the most fortunate generation that ever was.

11. 'Handsome Devil' by The Smiths

'Let me get my hands
On your mammary glands' says it all.

12. 'After Life' by Tchami

If this song isn't already on your playlist, you have been missing out. It is likely the first step in spiritual transformation and packs a hella good beat.

13. 'Together' by The xx

One of the most beautiful emerging artists, The xx gives all of the feels, all of the time. Perfect for that winding-down evening, or an early morning sunrise, this song makes me incredibly happy to be alive.

14. '22 (OVER S∞∞N)' by Bon Iver

Equally a poet, Bon Iver creates musical fusion that makes the world make sense, even just momentarily. With this song, he entrances and awakens the Eden in all things.

15. 'I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)' by The Proclaimers

'Don't Stop Believing' needs to move over to make room for the true anthem of the century. I have infinite gratitude for this absolute banger. Bonus points if you sing along in a Scottish accent.