15 Signs That You're Irish

15 Signs That You're Irish

In case you got confused last St. Patrick's Day, here are the real answers about Irish people.

84
15 Signs That You're Irish
Conan

Every family has their quirks, and the Irish are no exception! Aside from (not) holding pots of gold at the end of rainbows, we like to eat, drink, and be the most friendly people in the room!

Your last name is Murphy, Mac - something, or O’- something.

This is one of the most self-explanatory facts of being Irish. And if you meet someone with the same last name, no matter how common, you identify as long lost cousins.

You have a plethora of ways to prepare potatoes, and they're all your favorite.

Mashed, baked, roasted, scalloped, oh baby! Potatoes are in fact a food group and a staple in every meal.

You probably have an aunt who has a bumper sticker of the Pope and/or a Jesus fish.

Irish Catholic - we know it, we live it, and some of us love it. It's undeniable that God is to thank for everything on the table and around it. Not all of us are on the same level of praise, but we will always have an undying love for our family.

You’re known as the “loud friend”.

I'm sorry I couldn't hear you, my hearing has also suffered from my ridiculous need to scream instead of talk like a normal person. With that being said, if your ears aren't ringing after a family dinner... you might not be Irish.

Family time has been spent at the bar.

This is where it might seem a bit on the crazy side, but we all needed a kiddie cocktail on a rough day with no nap.

Summer shopping includes clearing the shelves of SPF 100+.

Summer is the season of questions: do you burn, do you tan, does your burn turn into a tan, why do you have to put sunscreen on again, do you stay this color all year? YES, while not every Irish person is the color of creme cheese, some of us are better off inside.

You can't go anywhere without running into a relative.

Generally you go out to get away from your family, so seeing your great aunt Katherine is tragic, because you know she's going to tell the rest of the family what you've been up to.

There are bagpipes at family weddings.

Bagpipes are possibly one of the most entertaining instruments and they're usually accompanied by men wearing kilts. Weddings could not be as fun without a little Irish heritage.

Saying goodbye takes a minimum of 2 hours.

Leaving parties "early" is not a thing, mostly because they have no end. "Goodbye" includes hugging your grandma's 7 brothers, your grandpa's 6 sisters, all of their kids and their kids' kids...and Irish families have kids in 3's, so just start saying goodbye when you arrive.

You add alcohol to unnecessary things, if there is such a thing.

Add alcohol to anything, it cooks out. Creamer? you mean Bailey's.

You look forward to eating Corned Beef more than Thanksgiving turkey.

Potatoes are number one, but corned beef is a magical meat. Turkey is so basic nowadays.

You tend to have a short temper.

Road rage is one example of the wonderful edge we embody, but finds its way off the street quite easily.

“Danny Boy” is sung by your uncles at any given time.

"Danny Boy" seems to be a song all Irish know and love; So, don't be surprised when Uncle Danny and the rest of the family breaks into song during dinner.

Claddagh rings are typical gifts that double as a relationship status.

I'm a lover of the Claddagh, but it is a weird way for family to start a conversation about your relationship status. Pro tip: your aunts think you're 10x cuter than the general public will admit.

You meet a new family member at almost every family event.

There's bound to be someone who has either never come to a party since you were born, or was recently born. There is great news for all newcomers: the Irish are fabulously friendly, so welcome to the family!