15 Signs And Symptoms Of Being A Pre-Med Student | The Odyssey Online

15 Signs And Symptoms Of Being A Pre-Med Student

We have an untreatable condition

259
FanPop

The Fall 2016 semester marks my senior of college and my last year as a pre-med student. I've wanted to be a doctor since the age of 6, and it has been a roller coaster ever since then. Now, in college, it feels like the safety harness has been removed, and holding on to the ride is proof of our determination to become doctors. As I have gone through school, I started to notice a pattern between all of my friends who want to study medicine too. Like any other field, we all have our quirks and differences, but there are the qualities that unite us as well.

1. You started gaining a tolerance to coffee during freshman year.

One cup used to keep you awake, now staying up is a five drink minimum.

2. Your friends treat you like a doctor and ask for health advice.

Friend: What does this look like?
Us: Something you should ask an actual doctor about.

3. Your cursive looks like a third grader's handwriting.

I always say, the more illegible signature, the better the doctor.

4. When it comes time to take the MCAT, your social life is gone.

"I can't, I have to study," becomes your go-to response.

5. Taking three different science classes in a semester is a completely viable option.

A biology, a chemistry and a physics course. The triple threat.

6. Two words: undergraduate research.

It's like a class that you can decide what material is being studied and tested.

7. Blood, guts and bodily fluids do not gross you out.

We just see it as a problem that needs to be fixed when they are some place they should not be.

8. You volunteer more than any of your friends.

Not just in clinics or blood drives, but at many venues in your community. We love to help if we can.

9. You are Facebook friends with at least one of your professors.

Probably the one you are doing undergraduate research with.

10. Your least favorite class was organic chemistry.

Because carbon chains and rings are so important for surgery.

11. You enjoy labs much more than the lecture.

We prefer doing over listening.

12. You casually mention medical terminology like it is common knowledge.

"Ouch. That is one big contusion."

13. When you watch "Grey's Anatomy," you can point out what is wrong.

Let's be honest, with a one-in-nine death rate that hospital should be closed.

14. You know the way around the hospital you go to.

And chances are that you can figure out any new hospital's layout faster than most.

15. You probably aren't majoring in pre-med.

Let's face it, while plenty of colleges offer an actual pre-med major, you are more likely majoring in something close to it like biology, chemistry or anatomy.