15 Horror Movies Everyone Needs To Watch Before Halloween | The Odyssey Online

15 Horror Movies Everyone Needs To Watch Before Halloween

The scariest films to get you ready for Halloween.

80
Ryan Friend

With the end of October coming up, it's time to get back in the mood of candy bars and scary movies. After all, Halloween is the best time of the year to be scared out of your wits. With 15 days left until our favorite time of year, it's time to grab a friend and to shake in terror under your blanket. Here are 15 horror movies (in no particular order) that will keep you scared of the dark long past Halloween!

1. Woman in Black (2012)

Starring Daniel Radcliff, the Woman in Black is one of the creepiest horror movies that I have seen. Taking place in a small, secluded manor near a quiet village, an evil spirit haunts all of the town's citizens and no one is safe, especially not the children.

2. Conjuring (2013)

I particularly liked this movie because it being based on a true story made it so much creepier. Two paranormal investigators come into of the secluded farmhouse of the Perrons and their five daughters. Soon they learn about the house's eerie history.

3. Psycho (1960)

Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho is one of the greatest and well-known horror movies of all time. After stealing money from her employer, Marion Crane flees from the police only to meet Norman Bates, a taxidermist under the influence of his mother.

4. Nosferatu (1922)

I enjoyed this film as it is a silent horror film, different from modern horror films. It is about a husband and his wife who move after being summoned by Count Orlok. As the husband, Thomas Hutter realizes that the count is actually a vampire, he rushes to save his wife, who is in grave danger.

5. Poltergeist (1982)

Another well-known horror movie, the Poltergeist is about an average family being haunted by spirits through their television. At first, the spirits are playful, but as the family's youngest daughter goes missing, the story takes a sinister turn.

6. The Omen (1976)

After watching The Omen, I could not sleep for nights. The movie is about a boy adopted by a diplomat and his wife after she delivers a stillborn. However, all is not as it seems, the boy seems to be the cause of many misfortunes that occur within the family, thus leading them to believe he is the Antichrist.

7. The Shining (1980)

The infamous twins are one of the most well-known symbols of horror; they got me interested in The Shining, a movie about Jack Torrance, a writer facing writer's block. To get inspiration, he moves to an isolated hotel in Colorado with his wife and son. After his son gets a series of disturbing visions, Jack learns about the dark, creepy past of the hotel and a psychotic maniac.

8. Sinister (2012)

Another movie about a writer facing writer's block, Sinister is about Ellison Oswald, who moves his family into a house where another family had just been killed only to find that living in that house may kill him.

9. Babadook (2014)

Babadook takes a new path to horror movies. It is not about moving into a house with an evil spirit, but a monster who enters the home a mother and her son through a picture book.

10. Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Another classic, Rosemary's Baby is about a woman named Rosemary who believes that her unborn child is not human. She becomes paranoid and hysterical during her pregnancy, only to give birth to a baby related to the devil.

11. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

The Silence of the Lambs interested me as it is about a student training for the FBI, something that we generally characterize as safe unable to be affected by people or other things we generally find in horror movies.

12. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is about a sister, Sally, and her brother Franklin who are traveling to their family's isolated farmhouse. However, they find a group outcasts who through the night become attacked one by one, by an infamous figure in the horror genre, a chainsaw wielding maniac.

13. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

After a group of teenagers is attacked in their dreams by a creepy figure, they end up being killed in reality. Soon, a girl named Nancy believes she has the key to stopping the attacker, but there might not be enough time to stop him.

14. The Orphanage (2007)

I believe that The Orphanage is one of the creepiest movies of the 21st century. It follows Laura, a woman who recently buys an orphanage which she grew up in. When her adopted son goes missing, she realizes that her orphanage is not the happy place it used to be.

15. Halloween (1978)

Another classic perfect to end your fifteen-day horror movie marathon, Halloween is about a six-year-old boy who kills his seventeen-year-old sister and is locked away, only to be freed fifteen years. Michael Myers comes back to his hometown to continue murdering its residents.