15 Essential Back-To-School Supplies For College Students

You won't want to forget these.

42
vo.msecnd.net

In college, shopping for school supplies is a little bit different. You definitely don't need a colorful array of binders, folders and dividers like you did in high school. However, this time, you have to shop for school supplies as well as items for your dorm/apartment. Here are 15 essential back to school supplies that every college student needs.

1. A planner

This one is very important. In high school, I always used a planner, but for some reason in college the first couple of years, it never seemed important to me. Believe me, it is. You have so much on your plate in college, from exams, to essays, to club meetings and even social events. It can be hard to remember everything in your head, so this will make things much easier as you transition to a new busy schedule.

2. A travel coffee mug

This is perfect for 8 a.m. classes. Many dining halls will let you fill up with coffee or hot water, and on-campus cafes and even some off-campus places will give you a discount if you have your own mug.

3. A backrest pillow

This is essential to trying to do anything while sitting in an uncomfortable dorm bed, such as writing a paper, or even just having a Netflix binge session.

4. A coffeemaker

This can go along with your travel mug. Of course, a coffeemaker isn't completely necessary, but it could save you some cash on Starbucks runs every morning, and is a convenient way to always have a caffeine pick-me-up in you room.

5. Storage cubes/shelving

Most dorm rooms or even apartments have very limited space. Chances are, you will not fit all of your clothes and miscellaneous items into the tiny dresser and closet provided to you. It's great to have some extra drawers or cubes to keep your room from getting too cluttered and disorganized.

6. A laptop/tablet

This is also not completely necessary, so don't worry if you don't have one. However, this is a really useful thing for a college student nowadays to have, to be able to work in your room or take notes in class on a computer. If you don't have one, most schools have library computers, laptops for loan and computer labs scattered throughout campus or in the dorms.

7. Headphones

No matter if they are the expensive, noise canceling headphones or they just came with your iPhone, these are absolutely essential. If you are just using earbuds, I would recommend bringing several pairs, because I always misplace mine at school. These are necessary if you are listening to music or watching something in your room and your roommate is trying to study quietly, or if you go to the library or gym and need music.

8. A water bottle

Most college students get sick while away at school, especially while living in cramped dorms. It is so easy with a reusable water bottle to make sure you are getting enough water. It's also convenient while you are in your dorm room and need something to drink. There are usually water fountains all over a college campus for easy refilling.

9. A mattress pad/protector

You will be glad you have this to cover the gross dorm mattress that you were provided with. Also, a mattress pad can provide some extra comfort on an otherwise very uncomfortable bed.

10. Shower shoes

These are mandatory.

11. An ID case

This is good for making sure you don't lose your student ID. At most schools, the ID is very important for swiping into buildings, getting into your room or eating at the dining hall, so you don't want to lose it. Additionally, you may have to pay for a new one, so investing in an ID case is a great idea so that you never misplace it.

12. A mini fridge

This is very useful to have in the room. Before you go out and buy your own, look into if your college provides a mini fridge or "microfridge" company, which you can rent through. They will deliver the fridge right to your room, and pick it up at the end of the year. If they offer microfridges, I'd recommend getting this, as it lets you have a fridge and microwave unit that is usually much cheaper to rent than buying these for yourself.

13. A microwave

See above. If your school doesn't have this, or doesn't let you have a microwave, you can make a surprising amount of things in a coffeemaker. Also, usually there are some common room microwaves in the dorms if you can't have one in your room, so not to worry!

14. A shower caddy

This is great for toting around all your shower products from your room to the commnal bathroom, and lets you keep everything in one place in the shower. Most have holes or mesh to drain out the water at the end.

15. First aid kit

This is important to have while you are away at college. Many college students get sick at school, and you no longer have mom to take care of you. Make sure you are stocked with a little bit of everything, from bandaids to medicines and other supplies.