1492: Conquest Of Paradise | The Odyssey Online

1492: Conquest Of Paradise

A film review.

382
1492: Conquest Of Paradise
The Studio Exec

Christopher Columbus’ legendary voyage to the Americas is brought to life in Ridley Scott’s 1992 major motion picture, "1492: Conquest of Paradise". This film captures the authenticity of 15th century European clothing, architecture, and technology and illustrates the challenges and triumphs that Columbus and his crew experienced. The director blends surreal imagery with reality, resulting in some dreamlike scenes. The film’s unique soundtrack also enhances the dynamic scenography. Although Ridley Scott dramatizes Columbus’ voyage, he remains true to the spirit of the conquest.

Unlike the actual series of events that took place during Columbus’ voyage to the Americas, "1492's" plot is structured as a narrative, resulting in a film that tells a three-part story from Columbus’ perspective alone. Because of the film’s narrative structure, history is significantly altered in order to establish an introduction, a climax, and a conclusion. The film introduces us to Columbus’ story with Columbus pleading with Church theologians to allow him to sail west across the Atlantic Ocean to reach the Indies. His negotiations with the clerics fail, so Columbus turns to Queen Isabella of Spain for the funding needed to embark on his journey.

The queen permits him to go and provides him with three small ships, a crew, and supplies. She determines that Columbus’ voyage, if it were a success, could be very profitable; and if it were to fail, she would have little to lose. When he reaches the New World, Columbus and his crew discover native inhabitants who welcome them with hospitality and gifts. After befriending the natives, the Europeans search for gold and precious metals, which ends up being unsuccessful. Columbus returns to Spain with the little gold they could find, tobacco, foodstuffs, and several natives and asks Queen Isabella is she could fund another voyage so that the Spanish can establish a colony in the New World.

The queen approves Columbus’ requests, he returns to the New World, and the European settlers begin building a church and establishing a colony. They learn that a number of Europeans who stayed behind had been killed while Columbus returned to Spain. The film reaches a climax, as tension builds among the Europeans over Columbus’ authority and what is to be done against the perpetrators of the massacre. The Europeans decide to launch an attack on the perpetrators. Rogue Europeans, who envied Columbus’ authority, convince the tribe responsible for the massacre to ally with them against Columbus and his men. The rebellion is put down by Columbus, but other native tribes grow hostile towards the Europeans. The film concludes as a hurricane destroys the colonists’ buildings and fort, forcing them to set sail back to Europe. Columbus learns that another European, Amerigo Vespucci, discovered the New World’s mainland. Distraught, Columbus returns to Europe, discouraged that he was unsuccessful in establishing a Spanish settlement in the New World.

The compilation of surreal and realist imagery plays a key role in conveying the mood and tone of "1492". When shooting the scenes of urban Spain, Ridley Scott used dilapidated facades of buildings and alleyways. The streets look narrow and convey a claustrophobic aura. When shooting the interior of Isabella’s palace and the University of Salamanca, Scott manipulates the set’s lighting. He casts shadows on authoritative figures' faces, which makes them appear domineering and unsettling. Scott also avoids letting in too much sunlight into buildings and fills rooms with candle smoke, which results in the sets appearing hazy and dreamlike. These low light settings produce a feeling of captivity. Contrary to his presentation of Europe, Scott takes full advantage of natural lighting and makes sure that the New World appears fresh, untouched, and natural. Even when indoors, Scott allows light to pour into rooms and fills the New World scenes with an ether-like mist. Overall, this film’s greatest achievement is its visuals. Ridley Scott’s skillful direction and mastery of scenography is indisputably one of the strong points of "1492."

When determining the soundtrack of a historical film, one would expect that the music would fit the context of the film’s time and location. Interestingly enough, Ridley Scott appointed Vangelis, a famous Greek electronic music composer, to write and perform the soundtrack of "1492". . One may think that Vangelis’ music would sound out of place alongside a film taking place in the 15th century; but strangely enough, his music accompanies the film perfectly. The emotions of the film’s characters resonate through Vangelis’ score. He utilizes synthesizer sounds that make a subconscious impression on listeners. Scenes at sea are partnered with the echoes of encouraging chants and humming, which act as an audial representation of the crew’s determination and comradery. When the Europeans first reach the New World after months at sea, the music enhances the spectacular lively visuals with both lighthearted and triumphant choruses. Scenes of tension or violence are orchestrated with intense, invigorating, and quick paced rhythms. Vangelis’ score not only entertains its listeners, but aptly conveys the emotions of characters and the spirit of the voyage.

"1492: Conquest of Paradise" is a fitting visual and audial tribute to the historic voyage of Christopher Columbus to the New World. While not historically accurate, Ridley Scott and Vangelis combine their masterful talents to provide viewers with an enthralling experience for both the eyes and ears, using sights and sounds to convey the spirit of adventure and retell the triumphs and tragedies of Columbus’ expedition.