14 Things People With Siblings Will Understand All Too Well | The Odyssey Online

14 Things People With Siblings Will Understand All Too Well

With being a sibling comes responsibilities. You have the responsibilities to make your sibling’s life a little hellish, yet love them and protect them as much as possible.

15
Samantha Mabin

If you are a sibling you have had to experience at least some if not all the following situations.

1. Fighting over the tv

When it comes to who gets the tv, as a sibling you have one job. Get that remote and don’t let go, that means when you leave the room you have to take it with. It’s just a rule that goes unspoken, you want the tv you must fight for it.

2. Bargaining

When your sib has something that potentially could help you or that could ruin you, there is always room for bargaining. Whether it be money or doing their chores for a week, you are willing to do whatever it takes to get what they have or to keep their mouths shut.

3. Dibs on shot gun

When it comes to who gets shot gun it’s a life or death situation. You will slide over the hood of the car to beat your siblings to the seat. You will do anything to not have to sit in the back.

4. When your sibling is being yelled at

First, let’s be honest you are super relieved you aren’t the one being yelled at. Second you are sitting in the corner trying so hard not show interest in anything your parents are saying to your siblings.

5. Getting away with things

What are siblings for if you can’t cause trouble then blame it on them? Those are the times where we thank our lucky stars that we got away with something that potentially could've ended with us getting in trouble. It’s an everyman for themselves kind of thing.

6. The “I’ll let you hit me back if you stop crying” plead

If you haven’t had this happen are you truly a sibling? It’s that time you are in the heat of the moment and you hit your sibling causing them to burst into tears. Let’s be real your first thought isn’t if they are okay, it’s “oh gosh they are crying, I’m definitely getting in trouble.” So, then you panic and quickly tell them that you will let them hit you back if the stop crying.

7. Public vs. Home

Siblings in public, they show everyone that they are complete angels in fear that if they don’t their parents will scream at them the second they get in the car. Siblings at home, it is essentially like an are you ready to rumble kind of thing…as one sibling body slams the other sibling.

8. Being called one of your sibling’s name instead of yours

Even after giving birth and picking out my name you still mess it up? We all have had that time where our parents have yelled every other one of our siblings’ names before reaching ours. We are lucky they haven’t screamed out every name known to mankind.

9. Your personal items are stolen

We don’t mind sharing on our term, right? But it’s not very often that siblings ask, it’s more of a can’t get in trouble if I don’t get caught kind of thing. If we think we can pull one over on them then why even ask? That’d be too easy and then you just give them the chance to say no.

10. Calling dibs on the bathroom

You scream, I scream, we all scream dibs on the bathroom. When you have more siblings than bathrooms this becomes an essential problem. After a long car ride there is no doubt everyone needs the bathroom, so you better be the first one to dibs or hello waiting line.

11. No food boundaries

Being a sibling opens you up to the no food boundary life. “Oh, so you are trying to enjoy that bag of Cheetos, let me help.” They do not care whether you want to share or not, you have no option. How about that food you put in the fridge, you know the one you waited all day for just to come home to it gone? Yes, the perks of being a sibling.

12. Fake phone call to mom/dad

That “phone call” we make to our mom/dad when our siblings; A) do something we don’t like, B) won’t do what you want them to do, or C) cause trouble. We do everything in our power to make it look as though we are talking to them but we know that calling will only cause more problems. It works the first couple of times then they slowly start to realize what is happening.

13. When everyone tells you that you all look alike

This is when we siblings come together and agree on one thing; we do not look alike. But no matter how many times you tell people you don’t look alike you will only be told it a million more times in your lifetime. So, let the, “Oh you look like your brother/sister,” comments continue.

14. The “Mom!” scream

The time that your sibling is really getting on your nerve and you have tried everything to try to make them stop, except the big guns…mom. You scream mom at the top of your lungs but then wait…what was that? Your sibling folds and insists they will stop what they are doing. Now what? Instead of getting them in trouble you just simply yell, “What time is it?"

With siblings life is never dull or normal. For those of you who have siblings you for sure know how much of a blessing they are, yet total pains as well.