14 Reasons Why Dogs Are The Best | The Odyssey Online

14 Reasons Why Dogs Are The Best

Man’s best friend and the greatest animal you will ever come across.

27
14 Reasons Why Dogs Are The Best
Lovable Frenchies

There are many animals in this world, but one that stands out among them all is the dog. Dogs offer a friendship that never ends and a love that never dies. From making you laugh to keeping you warm, dogs will always be there for you. As an owner of two dogs, I’ve found that they offer nothing but joy and it is my sincerest belief that everyone should own a dog at one point if they wish to enrich their lives. It is through the games of fetch, the long walks together, and the sloppy kisses they greet you with that one realizes why dogs are the best.

1. They’re pretty much humans with fur

Even though they may not be humans, dogs can be better company than a lot of people out there. Dogs like humans, seem to show emotions in their own way, love food, and enjoy having their tummies rubbed.

2. Puppies!

Need I say more? There is absolutely nothing cuter than a new puppy with its little body, shrill yap, and soft fur.

3. They keep you warm

Having a dog is pretty much the same thing as having a foot warmer. You can be cold and laying on the couch and all you need to do to warm up is call over your dog. The more dogs, the warmer you will be! After all, who wouldn’t want a bunch of pups huddled on them?

4. They do the funniest things

From sliding on hardwood floor to doing little dances for treats, dogs will always entertain you no matter what.

5. They don’t mind a little exercise

You’ll never have to jog alone as long as you have a dog. They love to be active and run around outside with you. This is good for us because it keeps us active and gives us some great company while we do it.

6. They will protect you no matter what

Dogs are known for their protective nature. Having a dog is just as good as having a bodyguard and an alarm system. They will protect you if anyone ever tries to harm you, and they will bark away to let you know if someone is at your door.

7. They always seem to know when you've had a bad day

All dog owners have had at least one time when they were upset that their dog has instinctively come over to them and attempted to cheer them up. It’s like they can sense when their owner is unhappy and they just want to lick them until they’re better.

8. They come in all different sizes and colors

The great part about dogs is that there are many different types to appeal to people’s preferences. Small dogs, big dogs, fat dogs, lazy dogs, the list goes on. Even people who are allergic to fur can find dogs with hair instead. There truly is a dog for everyone.

9. They are always happy to see you no matter what

Whether you haven’t seen them since lunch or since you left for college, your dog is one of the few people that will be happy to see you all the time.

10. They teach you responsibility

Having a dog isn’t just about having fun, it’s about learning to take care of something other than yourself. Owners pretty much have to treat puppies like newborn babies with all the care in the world to ensure they grow up healthy. With feeding, walking, and grooming, owners get to experience what it feels like to care for a living thing which relies on solely you, resulting in a growth in maturity and responsibility.

11. They offer unconditional love

Dogs will always love their owners no matter what. Even though you may not have given them the food from the table that they begged for, there’s no need to worry, they still love you.

12. Dogs make a difference in the world by helping people

Seeing-eye dogs, police dogs, and other types of service dogs play such a big part in helping the community they are in. Service dogs perform a variety of tasks and endure training in order to keep their owner safe. Police dogs help allow police to make breakthroughs in big cases where human senses just aren’t enough. Lastly, dogs are even used in combating depression in people or helping autistic children due to their lovable nature and the effects they have on people’s hearts and well-being.

13. They follow you everywhere

A dog will never question where you are going, they’ll simply follow you. From the couch to the kitchen or inside to outside, they always want to be near you.

14. They bring families together

I can honestly say that having a dog will make a family whole. As soon as you get the little guy, it's like everything is just complete. Many times a dog will be the next step in a long relationship, the first true thing that you two own, and many other times it will be the final addition to your family of five. Whatever the case, dogs will bring you together with the ones you love and eventually you will wonder how you ever lived without them.