12 Things To Thank Your High School Friends For

Through every awkward phase, regretful Saturday night, and each month apart, we have grown stronger.

21

Throughout your life, you meet people that you know will always be a part of who you are. However, there is nothing quite like the friends you made while growing up. Your high school or hometown friends are people that have been with you through everything.They have seen you at your best, and they have definitely seen you at your worst.

They tend to know you better than you know yourself and are always there for you no matter what. These friends deserve endless "thank yous," and probably apologies, for always being there for you and loving you unconditionally.

So, to my high school best friends, thank you for...

1. Giving me a home to always come back to

Besides my actual home, you were always the feeling of “home." After going away to school and being gone for months at a time, I was worried that when we came back it wouldn’t be there anymore. However, you never fail to prove that no matter how many miles are between us, you will always be there. I’ll always have my nostalgic adolescent home as long as I have you guys.

2. Nights of endless conversation

I cannot even count the amount of talks we have had about life, space, our future, our nostalgic memories and so much more. I live for the nights where we talk about everything and lay out all the things we would most likely never tell anybody else.

3. Being there for me through every awkward phase

No one can really forget those awkward phases, as much as we would like to, but you always accepted me regardless. You worked with me when I wore more rubber bracelets than my wrist could hold, when my bangs were so dramatic that I might as well had been a member of a punk bad and when I had no clue that there was more to makeup than black eyeliner and too much mascara.

4. Never judging me

I can always count on you to let me get another drink, eat another pound of chips or triple text that guy I should not be talking to without any form of judgement. We tend to being doing these stupid things as a group, and judgement is never allowed.

5. Long car rides with good music

Thank you for always being ready to hop in the car with every album made in 2007 and to scream each song at the top of our lungs. There is no one else who could tolerate doing that with me but you. Long live the "High School Musical" soundtrack and every middle school song that people cringe at now.

6. Teaching me how to fight, forgive and move on

Being best friends for so long, you have taught me that relationships are not going to be perfect. People fight and it is important to know how to work it out and move on. We don’t fight often but when we do, I always have full confidence that we can work through it and will always be friends.

7. Additional closets

If I ever have nothing to wear, which seems to always be the case, I know I have alternate closets to raid. Even though people notice that we all wear the same clothes just on rotation, I would not have it any other way.

8. Forcing me to get out of my own head

No one knows how to bring me back down to earth when I’m completely irrational and stuck in my stubborn ways better than you. You are always there for me when I am overthinking simple situations, or when I need someone to tell me to stop being so crazy.

9. Keeping our high school hangouts alive

It is not always acceptable to hangout in parking lots, some old diner or at a 24-hour Dunkin Donuts until the middle of the night, but I know it will always be acceptable for us. Every summer weeknight, I’ll always know where to find you.

10. Always having my back

I can always count on you to defend me against anyone who tries to mess with me. I’ll never have to worry about battling other people, because I know my side will always be the strongest.

11. Always being honest

I needed to hear when that guy was being awful to me, when my outfit did not make any sense and especially when I needed advice on how to move forward after any struggle I had. You’re always willing to listen and to help me in any way that you can, and that is always greatly appreciated.

12. For never letting our friendship change when everything else around us did

Even when everything around me is changing, I can always count on our friendship to remain the same. Although we’ve all changed as we’ve grown up, we’ve changed together. I would not be the person I am today if I didn’t have you by my side. I know that you will always be a constant support system and a place I can always feel at home. Here is to a lifetime more of friendship!