11 Things to Look Forward to This Fall | The Odyssey Online

11 Things to Look Forward to This Fall

Everyone has their favorite season, and for some people, that season is fall.

32
11 Things to Look Forward to This Fall
PhotoBucket

Everyone has their favorite season, and every season has something to look forward to. In the winter, Christmastime means gifts and January 1st means hope of a better year than the last one. In the spring, when everything is turning green and coming back to life, there is something very encouraging in the air because if Mother Nature can go through that year after year, maybe we can too. In the summer, we can break out the pool gear and novels and sit on the side of the beach reading and getting tanned. Then comes fall. While fall is not my favorite time of year, in the spirit of the season, here are 11 things to look forward to:

1. Pumpkin Spice

With fall comes pumpkin spice, the flavor which many "basic white girls" crave. Whether you like the flavor, tolerate it, hate it, or are absolutely ecstatic that it's finally here, pumpkin spice is something to look forward to... even if only to watch the crazies obsess over it.

2. Cider Mills

I never really knew that cider mills were a thing until a few years ago, but my first visit (to Yates Cider Mill in Rochester, MI) was amazing. I went with some friends and we got caramel apples and walked in the woods in the back of the cider mill. Of course, cider mills go hand in hand with apple cider. Hot, cold, warm, iced, put in ice cream... however you like your apple cider, this is the time to get it!

3. The Trees

Anyone who has lived through fall in the midwest knows that the trees change colors in the fall. The normally vibrant green leaves transform to gold, orange, and red, making the forests look even more vibrant and alive than in spring and summer. Another great thing about those leaves is that once they start falling, you get to make piles to jump in.

This is usually an activity enjoyed by young children, although college students seem to enjoy it too.

4. Cooler Weather

Once fall arrives, the mercury will stop trying to burst out the top of the thermometers and we will be much happier. By the time fall rolls around, most of us are probably tired of the heat. I know I am! With fall comes cooler weather, which leads to my next item:

5. Fall Wardrobe

When the weather cools, our wardrobes become bulkier so we can stay warm. Soon, we can dig those long jeans out of the back of our dressers and pull that box of sweaters and other winter attire out of the attic. There's something exciting about wearing all those outfits you haven't seen for the past six months... Though maybe not all at the same time.

6. Bonfires

I've never understood why anyone would hold a bonfire in the summertime. Fall seems perfect, because you get to hang out with all your friends outdoors, roasting hot dogs and marshmallows and whatever else you want to, and the fire will you keep you nice and warm! During the summer, I would stay as far from the bonfire as possible... Who needs more heat?

7. Fall Festivals

With fall come the festivals... Harvest Moon, Oktoberfest, and all the others. There's nothing better than wandering the park looking for fun things to do... except maybe wandering the town looking for candy.

8. Halloween

Every kid loves candy. Sweets and childhood just sort of go together, and most kids here in America have the fond memory of dressing up as a monster, a princess, or a favorite TV character and going door-to-door to collect candy.

9. Harvest Time

Anyone who lives in the country knows that corn is tall. Really tall. Especially during this time of year, when it has been growing since spring. If you've ever been driving through country roads and come up to an intersection where there's a cornfield on every corner, you understand why harvest is a time to celebrate. No one likes to not be able to see if another car is coming down the road until they're halfway into the intersection. Harvest time takes care of that (until next year, at least).

10. Thanksgiving

With fall comes Thanksgiving: turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin, cornbread, stuffing, pecan pie... the list goes on, but one thing everyone can agree on is that Thanksgiving is a day to be grateful for. And after Thanksgiving comes...

11. Black Friday

Black Friday isn't a tradition I usually take up, but many people look forward to this day all year long. Stores have deals and costumers go crazy trying to buy all their Christmas gifts early. Nowadays, Black Friday is extremely dangerous, and shoppers have been suffocated by the sheer mass of people. So, if you're planning to go Black Friday shopping, be careful!