11 Signs You Grew Up In San Diego | The Odyssey Online

11 Signs You Grew Up In San Diego

Just a couple things only true "loc's" would know.

366
11 Signs You Grew Up In San Diego
Seal Transportation

San Diego, California -- where no questions are asked when you show up at your favorite hole-in-the-wall Mexican food joint barefoot in a bathing suit. Growing up a San Diegan has blessed you with sun-kissed skin, salty hair and a tummy full of a wide variety of the best food for as long as you can remember. Whether life has thrown you up to The Bay, over to the East Coast (unfortunate for you), or you've never had the heart to leave, it's hard to forget the "rad" way of life America's finest city has to offer.

1. You know all of the right (and wrong) beach spots, and the backroads to get to each one.

Trying to bar-hop with your friends and hope for the best that the day ends on the sand for the sunset? Pacific Beach won't disappoint. If you want a good TBT reminiscing on the high school days where legally partying at the beach just couldn't wait, Marine Street has not changed a bit. If you prefer a whole lot of tourists and a 0 percent chance of finding parking, Mission is the way to go (yeah, we don't go there).

2. You will always be a disappointed, die-hard "SD" sports fan.

It's no secret that San Diego takes the cake for terrible sports teams. No matter how many times The Pads and The Chargers lose miserably, it would just feel wrong to bet against 'em.

3. Everyone knows everyone.

This is typically more common in small towns, but if you grew up here you know that this huge city is much smaller than you'd think. I know you've said, "Wait, how do you guys know each other?!" at least once over the years.

4. You've been to SeaWorld a thousand times.

I can count on two hands the amount of grade school field trip destinations that were at SeaWorld. You know the layout, the exhibits and the shows like the back of your hand, and it will still never get old.

5. And dude, the lingo is like, totally sick.

A huge part of the San Diego culture is the ridiculous way we sound to outsiders when we speak. For decades surfers have passed down normal, everyday sayings like "how stoked we are for the gnarly waves we're about to shred later."

6. The food is dank.

Of course, everyone knows that the food in San Diego is nothing short of amazing. The obvious choices are IN-N-Out (duh) and our many different burrito joint options, being that Mexico is just a short drive away. But Hodad's, Point Loma Seafoods, Swami's Cafe and Sushi Deli are just a few hidden gems that we locals know too well.

7. Being half-naked in public is normal.

If you get weird looks when you're at a restaurant wearing flip-flops and a small cover-up over your suit, they're obviously out-of-towners.

8. You have stories from Sleep Train Amphitheatre.

Coors, Cricket Wireless, Sleep Train or whatever they call it now - it's the go-to place to see your favorite rappers, reggae and country artists when they come to perform in San Diego. It's a fact that you see everyone you know tailgating in the lot (most of the time a little too much) prior to the actual concert, and then again in the general admission lawn section. SleepTrain is always just one big party and no matter how many times you tell yourself you won't be as drunk as last time, it never goes as planned.

9. Ballast Point is the greatest beer of all time.

Founded in San Diego, California in the '90s, you don't have to be a beer expert to know that there is just no comparison to the delicious variety of one-of-a-kind flavors this beachy brewery has to offer.

10. You take the city for granted.

As we've grown up we've made numerous friends who grew up in less-cool places and we bring them here to visit; and each one's amazement at this way of life reminds us how lucky we really are to call this place home.

11. You never want to leave.

And for those of you who do, we know you'll come back.