11 Moves To Kick Depression's Ass

11 Moves To Kick Depression's Ass

You got this.

1639
11 Moves To Kick Depression's Ass
Sony Movie Channel

Whether you've been diagnosed clinically or you're just going through a real rough patch, depression is something that 1) royally sucks and 2) is weirdly hard to talk about, let alone get help for. Everyone will experience some kind of depression at one point in their lives.

However, if you've never gone through this before or what you're doing isn't working -- here are some ways that you can try to kick depression's butt.

1. Shut out the negative voices.

One of the first signs of depression is finding yourself in a constant loop of negative thinking. You have doubts about the way people treat you or about how they think about you.

It seems simple, but learning how to break yourself out of that cycle is the first step to feeling better. One tactic is to imagine those intrusive thoughts are being spoken by someone you dislike (Donald Trump has been a favorite of mine) so it's easier for you to tell them to kindly piss off.

2. Listen to something that makes you happy.

Music has been used in all kinds of therapy to help people feel better. Happy and upbeat music will help you to move and raise your heart rate, as well as distract you from self-doubt.

You can also check out comedy or a favorite podcast. Just drown out negative noise with something that makes you feel positive and good about yourself!

3. Try getting an exercise routine.

The key word here is "routine." Also "exercise," but you can figure that out as you find what you enjoy at your comfort level.

Having a daily time set aside for 20-30 minutes of exercise will help you to feel accomplished; plus, there are so many positive side benefits of exercising. If you're normally sedentary, it'll take four to six weeks for you to really be comfortable in it.

Remember, a bad daily workout is 1000 percent better than procrastinating for a good workout on the weekend.

4. Re-explore something you loved or try something new.

Depression is most remarkable for its ability to block out anything fun or joyful in your life. So try to take away its power by going and doing those things anyway.

There's a lot of evidence linking depression with creativity, so try painting or music or writing or something that will get you out of your own head for a while.

5. Learn how to meditate.

Routinely meditating is great for lowering blood pressure, and learning how to make white noise in your mind is a great way to shut down depression's intrusive impulses.

You don't have time for that nonsense, so find a mantra that works for you or find someone to guide you through the process.

6. Cry. Like all the time.

It's so cathartic, I can't begin to describe it. Obviously there's a time and a place, but pencil that crap into your schedule. And yes, this goes for literally everyone, male and female.

I'd also recommend having a folder of cute puppy videos saved on your phone to make you feel better afterwards.

7. Check out therapy.

The benefits of having a professional talk to you are manifold. You have a treatable condition, and you'll probably need a professional to get you through it.

If you're having a hard time justifying it, think about it like this: If you were an athlete with a damaged muscle, nobody would expect you to walk it off or just power through it -- they'd take you to a doctor. Your brain is the same way, and it's responsible for so much more than a single limb.

8. Try herbal supplements or antidepressants (with discretion).

Do not - I repeat - do not self-medicate depression. Addiction is a whole 'nother bear that you are not equipped to handle. However, if you have addiction contributing to your depression, please check out a 12-step program near you as soon as possible.

That being said, lots of people have had success with managing depression with herbal supplements like St. John's wort or with antidepressants prescribed by their doctor. However, make sure you go over any medication with a professional therapist before taking anything.

9. Focus on small goals.

I mean tiny, itty-bitty goals. Like making sure you shower and get dressed in real clothes, even and especially if you're not leaving the house.

It's a baby step towards feeling accomplished and functioning. Fake it 'til you make it!

10. Sign up to volunteer somewhere.

I realize that taking on more responsibility is probably the last thing you want to do, but hear me out: Depression is awesome at isolating you so that it can grow and get worse.

Making a conscious decision to not only connect with other people but make a difference at the same time keeps depression from winning. Plus, you might be able to help someone going through the same thing.

11. Join a peer support group.

I was absolutely serious when I said that literally everyone has or will be depressed. Not everyone is diagnosed, but there are tons of people who can and want to help you.

Find a local group and attend meetings, or find an online community who will cheer you on. They'll have your back.