11 Great Things About Being A Big Fish In A Small Pond | The Odyssey Online

11 Great Things About Being A Big Fish In A Small Pond

Why transferring to a small liberal arts school from a big state school can be the best decision

95
Grace John - Photographer

When I left a big Californian private state school for a local commuter campus, Webster University, I was worried that with a big personality, I wouldn't acclimate to the midwestern hospitality. I didn’t even apply to any local college’s my senior year. I wanted to GTFO of the midwest to thrive on the west coast. Now that I’m back, I’ve learned it’s fun to be a big fish in a small pond:

With a class size cap at a small number like 12-25, you have a lot of time to vocalize any pressing questions without feeling guilty for holding up the class.

2. You have more opportunities to do lots of recreational activities

Instead of just living a double life like Hannah Montana, you can also be a campus radio DJ, in LGBTQ+ club and play campus Quidditch!

3. You have more chances to get to know people with a range of interests

While a big state school has a larger and more diverse population of students, it leaves less chances of having repeated classes and run-ins in the cafeteria with the people you vibe with. If you see someone you like once, there’s a small chance you’ll run into each other again.

4. You can count on a routine

Even if your routine is doing nothing, at least you know exactly where everything is on campus to get all that nothing done.

5. There are people looking out for you

And will text you when you go missing on a night out, or to check in if you’ve been down recently. With more time together, it’s easier to tell when something’s up among your crew.

6. You get comfortable acting like yourself on campus

At a big school you have to constantly introduce your best self to the social life, the professional network and the social network. Within the first few weeks, you get all of that out of the way during the universally uncomfortable Orientation experience.

7. You only got one favorite eat spot instead of a million expensive options.

If you’re like most college students, most of your time is spent trying to make decisions. So while you often daydream of all the different foods you’ll eat over the next break, at least when it’s time to study and crunch, you only gotta worry ‘bout one place to munch.

8. You get so in sync with your squad

Even during that special time of month. At least you’re all proactive about taking that Proactive together.

9. Any tiny new change in the community calls for celebration

That new Chipotle calls for a weekend long fiesta! “Who’s driving? Shotgun!”

10. Months of low-key kickbacks > months of frat parties

Let’s be real, once you’ve been to a few frat parties in the same night, you quickly realize how they will all blend together when you're reflecting upon college with your kids. It’s fun to have a theme night every once and awhile, but you’re comfy enough with your crew to be a creature of the night, because you know they won’t judge.

11. You’re swimming with a school of fish

Everyone flies their own freak flag, but not everyone gets along. At least on a small campus you’ll always know someone who knows your potential new friend or romance, and can give a second opinion. This creates a friendly atmosphere, and a less ‘bait’ mentality. As a big fish, you look out for your other fish and make sure no one makes them food.