10 Ways To Change Your Negative Mindset - The Odyssey Online

10 Ways To Change Your Negative Mindset

Changing your negative thinking is easier than you think.

131
10 Ways To Change Your Negative Mindset

Sometimes I just wake up angry. Like super angry. These are the days when I have trouble using my coping methods the most and have to turn to the internet for help. After scouring the web to find the best ways to relieve my anger, I realized that I can't simply take action when I'm angry, I have to change my entire mindset. I want to become a more positive person, which is something that I think we all should strive for. Here are 10 ways to change your negative mindset into a positive one!

1. The Power Stance

I'm sure you all have heard about the power stance, but it seriously works. Just do this every day for about one minute and you will feel like a fucking superhero. Although it seems funny and you might say "How does standing with my hands on my hips make me more positive?", but this really changes my perception of myself. I feel strong, brave, beautiful and fierce when I stand like this. Give it a try!

2. Smile to yourself

Don't be creepy about this. Sometimes I'll take a break from work and go to the bathroom just to smile at myself. Some days, no one will smile at you and you have to do it yourself. Even making funny faces or sounds will usually brighten my day. It brings out my inner child and honestly makes me giggle.

3. Ride the wave and chill bro

When you feel yourself getting in to a negative head space, understand that it is temporary. Remind yourself that you aren't going to feel like this forever, even if it is the worst feeling in the world. Tell yourself to "Ride the wave" and let yourself feel and analyze the anger. Allow it to wash over you, feel what you need to, and when the wave is over, you'll feel so much stronger for handling yourself without making a mountain out of a mole hill.

4. Declutter your living space

Nothing feels better than relaxing in a clean and organized room. You'll feel like you're able to breathe easier, have less anxiety, and you don't have to see your dirty underwear everywhere! When I clean my room, I feel like I have my life together. Even when I'm in a horrible mood, a clean room helps me relax. Also, cleaning when you're angry or stressed out is a great way to relieve that extra energy!

5. Get more sleep

I know it's hard to do this, especially in college, but it's so important to get an adequate amount of sleep to function. When I don't get at least 6 hours of sleep, I am not myself. I am rude, mean, and just awful to my friends and family. Lack of sleep triggers many mental illnesses to reveal themselves in full force. For example, during finals when I wasn't sleeping, my BPD got so bad that I was in hysterics.

6. Do something for yourself every week

Take time out of your week to spend time with yourself. Sometimes I find myself so consumed in my relationships with others that I lose track of my goals, wants, and desires. That can be scary. When it goes on for too long, it can sometimes feel like you don't know who you are anymore which can cause you to spiral into negativity.

7. Tell yourself "I'm awesome" every morning

I saw this in a youtube video a while ago. There was a little girl standing on her sink and singing to herself about how awesome she is. That changed my life. When I saw her I was like "Why can't I be as positive as her?" So I tried doing the same thing. And it works! It's very similar to smiling at yourself in the mirror because it makes you giggle and laugh at yourself. I like to tell myself "Dang girl, you look good. You're awesome. You have nice eyes. You can do this. Just get through the day."

8. Sign up for Buzzfeed's 'Dog a Day' email

Sometimes you have to look beyond yourself to make yourself happy! One thing that brightens my day, every day, is Buzzfeed's 'Dog a Day' email. This is completely free and you get to see cute puppies in your inbox!

9. Remember your power

Remember that you hold the power to your own emotions. Even when you lose control of them, remind yourself that you have the power to get better one day. You have the power to say 'fuck you' to your depression, BPD, or any other mental illness. You have the power to work every day towards a better tomorrow. That power breeds positivity.

10. Help others

When I help others, I'm able to forget about my problems for a second and reevaluate my position in the universe. Helping others brings out an inner positivity and brightens your life. Join a local soup kitchen or get involved in a charity!

At the end of the day, only you can change your mindset. These tips won't magically fix you or automatically make you a positive person. You have to work for it. Every day will be full of new challenges, so make sure you're prepared to fight.