10 Types of Friends Everyone Should Have in Their Lives | The Odyssey Online

10 Types of Friends Everyone Should Have in Their Lives

6
Photo Credit: Pintrest

As we grow up, we experience the rigorous challenge of making and obtaining friends. From the backstabbing drama, college goodbyes or just simply outgrowing each other, we ask ourselves why something that should come so natural is in fact so difficult. 

Though, through all the trying and effort, the relationships that do continue to blossom through out time only become that much more special to us. 

No relationship is perfect, and neither are we, and those friendships have proven perfection is not everything.

These relationships have lasted the test of time and shown how friends are there for more than just the simple things. Friends, bring a sense of warmth, security and support that make your life just a little brighter each and every day. 

After being in college for two years, the cliche and sappy attitudes of friendship have proven to be nothing but true. When I look at my life, the things I've accomplished and the person I've become, I know my friends' are a huge contribution to my happiness today. They have inspired me to choose for myself, dream beyond my wildest dreams, and motivate me to keep going in even the toughest of times. 

The more I am encouraged to be myself, the more I begin to realize how much of who I am is rooted from the types of people I surround myself with. Not all friendships are the same, and each friend offers something different to make my life that much more bearable. 

Here are 10 different types of friends that will keep you sane and moving forward through life:

1. The "YOU CAN DO IT" Friend. This friend offers more support than you could ever ask for. They are the person who can come up with the best pep talk in a matter of minutes, resulting in you accomplishing whatever it was you were doubting in the first place. Negative talk and this friend never coincide. 

2. The Culturally Innovative Friend. Who wouldn't want that friend who can cook the most outrageous, delicious meals, only because they have seen the world and tasted the most authentic of foods. In 10 years you'll be finding them half way across the world, riding camels, sending you postcards, just in order to keep you educated on the world outside of yourself. 

3. The "Fear Factor" Friend. If you ever have an impulse desire to participate in the Amazing Race, or just decide you need to step outside your comfort zone, this friend will be there in a heart beat. Sometimes doing something that isn't normal for ourselves is difficult. This friend is here to give you the push you need to take those risks in life that we may have never taken otherwise. 

4. The "Mom" Friend. You can call them the responsible friend, or the one who holds you to a certain standard, but never take them as the fun suckers. This friend is just as capable of making mistakes or having a good time, they just know at the end of the day someone needs to be there to tell you what your mom wishes she could. Be grateful for this friend, because in a few years from now you'll be thanking them for saving you from all the ditches you could have fallen into. 

5. The Witty Friend. They get your humor and you get theirs. You can laugh at the stupidest things with them and joke about some of the most inappropriate things, knowing that they'll never judge you for your dry, immature humor. 

6. The Musical Friend. There is always that friend you can count on for some new tunes when the Tay Swift album starts to become a little dry after having it on replay for days. Whenever theres a dull moment and the party needs some kick, leave it to this friend to find the right song to get things started. 

7. The Future Olympic Athlete Friend. You sometimes hate this friend for their motivation to hit the gym every day, but love them because they are the only thing that gets you up and active. A lazy morning, or calm Sunday doesn't exist for this friend, because they're off spending their time one hikes or playing an intramural sport. You may be envious of them now, but they saved you from scaring yourself once hibernation is over and bikini season is back in action. 

8. The Couch Potato Friend. Everyone needs the friend who accepts you regardless if you have not moved from the couch almost the whole day. If anything, they are right there with you, popcorn in hand and gossip girl on repeat. 

9. The Brutally Honest Friend. Thanks to this friend you'll never be leaving the house in anything remotely ugly, even if you thought it looked good. For any other friend these harsh comments wouldn't fly, but for this friend you've come to embrace their honesty and take it as their way of telling you they love you. They have no intention of hurting your feelings, they just know that without them, you could possibly make a total idiot of yourself without even knowing. 

10. The Shot For Shot Friend. Take it as you want, this friend knows how much fun you are capable of having, and sometimes pushes you to your limits only resulting in some of the funnest nights. Its never considered a competition for the two of you because out doing each other isn't possible. This friend is all about having fun, letting lose, and only wants to see you in your natural element, having the time of your life. 

The journey of life can be unpredictable and uncertain, and without friends like these, you'd be in for a crazy ride. Surrounding ourselves with people who only want to see you succeed, only makes your desire to succeed even greater. The relationships you have will not only help you find yourself, but also alleviate the stress of life and allow for you to enjoy the luxuries we all deserve to enjoy.