10 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Went Through Recruitment | The Odyssey Online

10 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Went Through Recruitment

A few tips for girls going through recruitment who have no idea what to expect.

23

I was four hours away from home with no car, minimal WiFi and no idea how to make friends. I had been a cheerleader my whole life and thought it was time to try something new, and what was the next best thing? Joining a sorority. But I knew absolutely nothing about Greek life or rush, and when I showed up on the first day of recruitment I had not a clue as to what I was doing.

Here are 10 things I wish I would've known:

1. Smile.

And keep smiling harder than you ever have before. Not creepy, but just enough to make it look like this is the greatest thing you've ever done. Whatever you do, don't look bored. Remember, you chose to be there, no one is forcing you to do this (well, hopefully).

2. Fun facts.
You will need to think of many fun facts about yourself throughout this process. And if I can come up with at least five about myself, I can guarantee that you can think of some too. Mine weren't so much "fun," as they were just "facts." Don't stress, anything that can strike up a conversation will do.

3. Bring cash.

It is almost certain that at least one club will be selling some sort of food. And trust me, you don't want to be the only girl in a room of 600 not eating pizza, chicken fingers or cookies because you forgot your wallet. Those are long days and granola bars just aren't enough.

4. Prepare to talk about yourself. A lot.
You will talk about yourself almost nonstop for very long periods of time, and you will get sick of it. But once you get past the initial awkward stage of figuring out what to and what not to tell your potential sisters, it gets better and time flies by.

5.Be yourself.

Even if you try to come off as someone you aren't, everyone will eventually figure out who the real you is. So there's no sense in over-exaggerating your life. Be honest, and your future sisters will appreciate you for who you are.

6. Don't let your friends sway your final decision.

Everyone is going to tell you not to discuss anything sorority-related with anyone until after bid day, and you're going to subconsciously nod your head because let's be real, you're going to tell your friends exactly what you want anyway. But seriously, don't base your decision off of what sorority all your friends want to end up in. Go with your gut feeling.

7. Your personality is what really matters.
Chances are, girls are going to remember how outgoing and fun you were to talk to as opposed to the bracelet you were wearing. Don't stress about buying the biggest, most sparkly statement necklace you can find or wearing every Alex & Ani bracelet you own. Sure those things might help, but holding a meaningful conversation is worth plenty enough.

8. Don't let all the crafts intimidate you.

There will be crafts everywhere, and it is incredibly intimidating if you're like I am and can barely glue two pieces of paper together. But you will learn that you don't have to be artsy, and there are plenty of your sisters who are and will help you.

9. Keep an open mind.

You will fit in wherever you end up. You may end up liking a sorority you originally could've never seen yourself in, and that's okay! Try to avoid walking into recruitment with a biased opinion and just let it all play out. Ultimately, you will realize that whichever sorority you chose was the right one for you.

10. This will be the best decision you'll ever make.
Before recruitment I had my bags packed, and I was ready to go home. But as the second bid day ended, I knew I had finally found my place. I was surrounded by tons of girls with the greatest personalities and the same interests as I do and who would all soon become my sisters. What could be better?