10 Solutions To Media Addiction | The Odyssey Online

10 Solutions To Media Addiction

Curbing our social media addiction and saving time

1975
10 Solutions To Media Addiction
https://unsplash.com

Around this holiday season, many of us (mostly students) have a lot of time on our hands when not busy readying ourselves for whatever traditions we may have. Far too often, even while school is still in session, our free time is gobbled away by social media (Making this article ironic...). I myself have come to regret the hundreds of hours I've wasted on Facebook alone, looking at things which are entertaining, yet take up my time rapidly as there's an endless amount of such things, making it hard to just stop looking. It's even harder now than ever before as apps constantly notify us on our phones if something is happening on the various social media platforms available to us. In fact, the average person has five social media accounts (can you imagine having ten?!). In any case something needs to be done. Here are ten simple ways to curb your social media appetite:

1. Alienate The Cause

If you're like me, you try to fit all of your apps neatly on one page, making this solution easy as pi (3.14... shoot, I forgot the rest...). However, even if you don't do that, this solution can still be applied effectively.

All you need to do is place all of your social media apps on the last page of your phone menu. This way, you can still work on your phone without being bothered by those silly little app notification numbers that are like catnip for humans (humannip? No, never mind. Forget I said that). Having all your other apps on a single page (like I do) will make this step ten times more effective.

2. Notify When Ready

Notifications are actually quite easy to control. Just hop on into your notification settings and decide how you want apps to notify you. Preferably, limit your notifications to simple banners at the most. Even better, turn your notifications off for your social media apps. This way, you can better control when you look at stuff online.

3. Watch the Time

(Pun intended)

Keeping track of how much time you are using/wasting on social media can help a great deal. I recommend setting a timer for ten minutes. Not too long, not too short. If you feel that's not an adequate amount of time, tack on an extra five minutes. You've earned it.

In all honestly, the allotted amount of time depends on the person and situation. For example, if you have all the time in the world, do the ten minute timer. If you're waiting for someone to be ready or waiting for something to start, simply whip your phone out and check your notifications really quick.

4. Silence, you Phone!

(Get it? Instead of saying 'fool' I said 'phone'! ... what, no? Whatever, I had fun.)

If you're out and about with friends or family, simply silence your phone so you can engage in some real-time socializing. You can turn it back on when you get home. Or do the other thing and turn off your notifications completely (for the social media apps that is).

5. If you don't need it, delete it

Remember the five social media platforms the average Joe belongs to? Well, chances are if you have more than one social media account, so do the friends you talk to. If, by chance, ALL of your friends are on one platform, you don't really need all the other ones do you? Granted, each platform/site has a different purpose and aspect. Regardless, if you use social media to... well, socialize with people, you don't need five different apps to do that.

6. Don't do it

Just that. Don't use social media at all. Honestly, it's an honorable decision. It won't affect your life any more or less if you simply skip out on the social media interweb. There are numerous other ways to communicate with long distance friends that don't tap into social media. This can also give you a lot more time in the long run.

7. Trash can, not trash can't

Yes, trash can. That's right, forget the smartphone altogether! Tossing the smart phone out for a dumb phone could be the wisest decision ever. (I just confused myself...)

8. Get Crabby

Become a hermit so you don't have to deal with social media at all.

9. Hatchet Toss

Use your smartphone as a ranged weapon to defend yourself. No one will see it coming, plus, its quite effective as a projectile (don't ask me how I know).

10. Computer Only

Keep your social media strictly confined to your computer. This way, you have to "schedule" the time you spend on it. This can greatly improve the experience overall as well.

Okay, I admit, some of these are a bit extreme. In any case, if you apply solutions one through five, you could greatly decrease the time you waste on social media and improve the experience. By gauging yourself, you spend more time on more important things that are on social media, thereby being more productive during this time. In any case, I hope you enjoyed this and that these helped you out.

God Bless and Merry Christmas!