10 Reasons Why Babysitting is the Best - The Odyssey Online

10 Reasons Why Babysitting is the Best

You can't imagine spending your afternoon with anyone but "your kids".

13
10 Reasons Why Babysitting is the Best
Google

Babysitting, or "nannying" as some may call it, is sort of new for me. Sure, I grew up watching a few kids in the neighborhood at random, but now that I am in college, I babysit every day... and I love it. I'm not sure exactly what it is that makes me love it so much. Is it that I get to delve into the elementary school realm for a few hours, escaping college life? Is it the two best friends that I get to see every day, greeting me with a big smile while they climb down the bus steps? Or is it the joy of watching them giggle and smile in the back seat when I play their favorite song?

1. When you tell the kids that you'll text them later... and forget that they are only eight.

Often times when leaving for the day, I will shout a "Text ya later!" over my shoulder to confused and phone less eight year olds. It is just a sign of their maturity!

2. When the kids finally acknowledge that you're cool.

Yes, I did have the entire "Magic Tree Houseseries." Webkinz? Are you kidding me? I had fifty.

3. Being able to teach them something new

Sure, I can show you how to make a cursive "Z". Want to know how to perfectly pitch a softball? That cool multiplication trick? You got it!

4. Being introduced as the "cool babysitter".

Keep cool, keep cool... don't push it.

5. Being able to navigate the many mood swings that happen throughout the day.

In just the second that you've turned your back, the giggles can turn into hysterical tears. But don't worry, you're on it with a juice pack and hugging it out.

6. One Word.... Sleepovers.

Although lights are out at nine, it's pretty fun to share your dorm with an eight year old. They get a kick out of doing laundry with you in a college dorm! Plus, you actually get eight hours of sleep!

7. Their hugs are the best hugs.

Although they aren't always in a hugging mood, when they are, you soak up all their affection.

8. When they remember the little things about you.

Remember that one time they saved you a piece of your favorite candy from their Halloween stash. That was pretty sweet.

9. The millions of silly photos and videos they leave on your camera roll.

There are just SO MANY PICTURES. You can always bet that looking at them can turn anyone's frown upside down.

10. Having a home away from home while in college.

You really appreciate getting to be apart of family dinners, ball practices and family jokes. It is nice to have a home away from home and now you have an extended family that keeps you in stitches and carseats in your back seat.