10 Reasons You Should Travel This Summer

Because there's an entire world out there worth discovering.

8
pexels.com

This school year is almost over and quickly following will come the time we've all been waiting for: summer. Summer is a time when students can finally let go of the everyday stressors that come along with their college courses. Let's face it, summer is the only time of year we can completely let go and find ourselves. Why not experience it somewhere completely different?

1. Traveling strengthens your sense of independence.

What's better than knowing you are fully capable of traveling the country without someone to "advise" you the entire time? Get out there, don't be afraid. There's an entire world to be discovered!

2. You can visit places you've only seen on TV.

You have probably seen commercials for the HGTV hit show My Caribbean Life. I must say, I watch it every Sunday night, and I can't seem to get enough. I won't be satisfied until I can feel my toes in the Caribbean sand for myself. Why not go this summer?

3. You aren't guaranteed tomorrow.

I don't want to get all deep or anything, but it's true. You never know when your last day may be, so go ahead and book that flight to New York, NY. Live in the moment because you really never know. Don't put off something you've wanted to do forever because there may be a "better" time, do it now! What's holding you back?

4. Traveling is truly a humbling experience.

Because sometimes we all need to remember that we aren't the only ones on the planet. There's an entire world out there you have yet to discover. It's a small reminder that you are one person in a sea of millions on millions of people. Get out there, share the world.

5. It makes you a more flexible person.

No, I don't mean this in terms of yoga. I think we can all agree that sometimes when life doesn't go quite how we expected it to, it can be hard to bounce back. There's nothing like a kink in your plans while you're traveling. Talk about being a world-class problem solver!

6. You get to experience new cultures.

Even if you don't go outside the U.S. or your native country, I promise you that there are more cultures out there than you could ever imagine. If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself! What is more exhilarating than living outside of your comfort zone?

7. Being away makes you appreciate your family more.

Yeah, yeah. I know the last thing a 20-something year old probably wants to do is get back home to Mom and Dad. Think about it: family is something we might sometimes take for granted without even realizing it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

8. The memories are much more valuable than materialistic possessions.

Sure, that Michael Kors bag is super cute and those new Nikes might be pretty sweet, but nothing compares to the lifelong memories you make while traveling. Purses go out of style within a season and shoes wear out, but memories last a lifetime. Plus, it's easy to reprint pictures!

9. It can rekindle old friendships.

It's way more exciting to take someone along for the ride, so why not? You get to discover an entirely new place and share that experience with someone you love. Talk about the experience of a lifetime.

10. Bragging rights.

That's right, I said it. Because wouldn't it be awesome to say "Yeah, I've been to the Grand Cayman Islands, what would you like to know?" Share your experiences with the people around you and encourage them to go find themselves, too.

Traveling isn't for the lighthearted. Things can go wrong and your plans may be changed, but the memories you make from the experience are worth living for. Traveling is completely life-changing and worthwhile, so get out there and experience the world!