10 Reasons To Love The Iowa State Fair | The Odyssey Online

10 Reasons To Love The Iowa State Fair

Why nothing else compares.

58
10 Reasons To Love The Iowa State Fair
Iowa Public Radio

For 10 days in August, thousands of visitors come to Des Moines to experience the Iowa State Fair. While the Iowa State Fair is considered one of the country’s top-five fairs, any Iowan will quickly tell you that Iowa has the best fair in the country. There are so many reasons to love the Iowa State Fair, but here are ten reasons why nothing compares!

1. The food.

Where do I even begin? The Iowa State Fair is famous for its endless food options. Serving up traditional favorites such as the corn dog or funnel cake, unbelievable creations like fried butter or ice cream nachos or any food you can imagine that is fried and on a stick, you will never go hungry at the fair!

2. People-watching.

There is never a shortage of people at the Iowa State Fair. With tens of thousands visiting each day, it is always incredibly entertaining to sit down with your fried snack and watch the interesting and unusual masses of people walking around.

3. The entertainment.

Not only does the Iowa State Fair bring in huge names to the grandstand, but there are also shows on the free stages. Local musicians, dancers, magicians and rising stars can all be found performing on the various free stages across the fairgrounds.

4. The Butter Cow.

Who doesn’t love a larger-than-life cow, made completely out of butter?! This 600-pound sculpture has been a favorite fair tradition for more than 100-years!

5. The emphasis on agriculture.

From livestock shows to the giant pumpkin contest to the variety of produce brought in from across the state, the Iowa State Fair makes sure to recognize those who help contribute to Iowa’s agricultural greatness.

6. The varied industries building.

It’s everyone’s favorite…the building where you can get your (temporary) tattoo sleeve, posters to support your favorite college, look at hot tubs, be bombarded by every imaginable product for sale and even get a bucket of fresh chocolate-chip cookies!

7. The Bill Riley Talent Search.

Watching the talent show on the Billy Riley Stage has been a decades-long favorite of many fair-goers. After all the hard work of competing locally to get to the fair, it is so much fun to watch the participants share their talents onstage.

8. The 4-H building.

I might be a little biased on this one, but the 4-H building is one place you must visit at the fair. With thousands of projects around the building, educational presentations being given, interactive working exhibits and Share the Fun performances, you can easily spend hours looking at all the efforts of Iowa’s 4-H’ers.

9. The sky glider and giant slide.

These are two of the favorite attractions of the fair! Everyone loves riding the sky glider across the fairgrounds and flying down the green and yellow giant slide.

10. The volunteers.

The volunteers are the heart and soul of the Iowa State Fair! Their love for this ten-day extravaganza is something that helps make the fair the great success that it always is!

Everyone has their own reasons to attend the fair, but it is easy for all to agree that nothing compares to the Iowa State Fair!