10 Musical Theater Songs For When You're Feeling Defiant | The Odyssey Online

10 Musical Theater Songs For When You're Feeling Defiant

You don't have to overthrow a corrupt government to listen to any of these songs.

4775
CBS News

In today's world, it feels like basically every authoritative establishment is out to get you: corporations, the government, your parents, etc. If you're a millennial, you're basically being blamed for the destruction of our entire civilization. Frustrating, I know. Luckily, musical theater has a serious problem with authority.

If you want to escape the pressure of Big Brother breathing down your neck, take a listen to these songs from musicals that are a middle finger to The Man:

1. "Do You Hear The People Sing" from "Les Misérables"

This is the song that every theater nerd thinks of when they hear the word "rebellion". Although this attempt at revolution was a total disaster for the characters in "Les Mis," you can still jam out while fantasizing about taking down a monarchy.

Badass lyrics: "Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men? It is a music of a people who will not be slaves again."

2. "Totally F***ed" from "Spring Awakening"

"Spring Awakening" reeks of teen angst, and 'Totally F***ed' is one of the most angst-y in the whole show. After losing his best friend to suicide, the protagonist Melchior is sick and tired of authority using him as a scapegoat for a tragedy they caused.

Badass lyrics: "But you're f***ed if you speak your mind and you know, uh-huh, you will."

3. "My Shot" from "Hamilton"

How could a musical about the Founding Fathers NOT have an authority defying anthem? Perhaps the most recognizable song from the Lin-Manuel Miranda smash hit, Alexander Hamilton helps plant the seeds of American independence.

Badass lyrics: "Rise up. When you're living on your knees you rise up. Tell your brother that he's gotta rise up. Tell your sister that she's gotta rise up."

4. "Mama I'm A Big Girl Now" from "Hairspray"

Who would life be if we didn't rebel against our parents? Tracy, Penny, and Amber are all facing expectations from their overbearing mothers, and this song exemplifies that, as teenagers, they want to start making their own decisions.

Badass lyrics: "Mama, I've been in the nest for far too long. So give a push and, Mama, watch me fly."

5. "Rent" from "RENT"

If "Spring Awakening" is the angst show of this century, "RENT" was the angst show of the last. Jonathan Larson's masterpiece tells the story of starving artists, junkies, and outcasts come together to basically say "F*** the system, I'm gonna live life my way."

Badass lyrics: "Draw a line in the sand and then make a stand. Use your camera to spar. Use your guitar. When they act tough you call their bluff."

6. "Revolting Children" from "Matilda: The Musical"

All of us had a teacher or administrator at school like the Trunchbull in our lives. Thankfully there's a song (sung by some very talented children) about how to take that terrible headmistress down a few notches.

Badass lyrics: "You say we oughta 'stay inside the line.' If we disobey at the same time, there is nothing that the Trunchbull can do!"

7. "Stick It To The Man" from "School of Rock"

Yay for more talented, angry children! This is more rock and roll than Matilda, but just as hell-bent at defying authority. With a title like "Stick It To The Man," how could it not scream rebellion?

Badass lyrics: "Break the rules, ignore the signs and color way outside the lines. Go off the script. Do what you like. They hate it, they can take a hike."

8. "The World Will Know" from "Newsies"

Newsboys taking on the New York media giants of the late 19th century. This David and Goliath situation makes for some great theater, and this song is the beginning of the strike that helps Jack Kelly and his band of Newsies take down Joseph Pulitzer.

Badass lyrics: "And the world will know we've been keeping score. Either they gives us our rights or we gives them a war."

9. "American Idiot" from "American Idiot"

Based on the Green Day album of the same name that was in response to the Bush administration, the "American Idiot" stage show is an extremely poweful jukebox musical.The high energy rock music sticks its middle finger right in the face of the establishment.

Badass lyrics: "Welcome to a new kind of tension, all across the alien nation, where everything isn't meant to be okay."

10. "Big Fun" from "Heathers: The Musical"

You know those crazy high school parties kids you see in movies? When kids throw ragers as soon as their parents walk out the door? That's this song. A bit more lighthearted than the other songs on this list, but defiant all the same.

Badass lyrics: "We're up 'til dawn having some big fun. When Mom and Dad forget to lock the liquor cabinet, it's big fun!"