10 Movies That Make Us Chant "U-S-A" | The Odyssey Online

10 Movies That Make Us Chant "U-S-A"

These movies show us the American spirit and pride that we love.

285
10 Movies That Make Us Chant "U-S-A"
Ryan Klinker

Every July 4th we watch fireworks, eat food off the barbecue, and did I mention watch fireworks? With this annual holiday usually comes a feeling of patriotism and pride in what our nation was founded upon and what it has become, and we honor the men (and women) who molded the country that we live in today. Sure, it may not be what we would like it to be, and maybe we wish things were different, but that is not for this day. Independence Day is for celebrating our country’s roots and honoring everything that we love about America. Few things can carry a bigger nostalgic and inspirational power than movies, and with that in mind, here are ten movies, in no particular order, that make us feel proud to be an American. Make sure you check them out this weekend!

Red Dawn (1984)

I think it would be any typical boy’s dream to fight bad guys in his own town alongside his friends, and this movie shows us a version of such an idea. When the Cold War-era Russians appear and take control of a small town in Colorado, a group of young adults decide to take back their homes, and they’ll use their home-field advantage at every opportunity. Coupling 80s stars Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, and other noteworthy names, Red Dawn shows us how (if the day ever came that a foreign enemy fought us on our own soil) we will have the determination and will to defend our country.

The Patriot (2000)

It’s all in the name. Benjamin Martin was a vicious fighter back in the French & Indian War, but he has sworn against such ways, and he never thought he’d have to revert to violence to protect his family. However, when a radical cavalry regiment of the British army threatens to take his farm and destroy his family’s livelihood, Benjamin realizes that his family and country need him to take up his rifle and hatchet once again. With his son Gabriel at his side and his scrappy militia behind him, this once-reserved man becomes one of the most feared colonists in young America’s land. The Patriot shows us how a grassroots collection of commoners with a worthy cause can take down even the biggest of foes, and that’s what we remember on Independence Day.

Live Free or Die Hard (2007)

Yes, it’s the fourth outing for John McClane, and yes, it’s a nightmare for anyone who tries to study the physics of any and every action of this blue-collar NYPD officer, but John fights for the cause of protecting everything that America’s existence has stood for: freedom. A team of unparalleled hackers with years of planning and die-hard (wink) motivations have begun to unwind the socio-economic mainframe of the United States with a few keyboards, and on July 4th no less. Needless to say, our veteran hero is ready to use every trick he knows to take down the bad guys and take back his country. Definitely a “popcorn movie,” Live Free or Die Hard is an action bonanza that pits the new age of technology against the timeless perseverance and inventiveness that made America what it is.

Independence Day (1996)

Go ahead. Roll your eyes, shake your head, and think to yourself “duh,” but such a reaction is exactly why this movie is listed. As the title plainly alludes to, this film is about our independence, but not from The Redcoats, the Commies, or the hackers on the inside, but rather the ultimate outsiders: aliens. With the well-worn goal of world domination in mind, these aliens have decided to use the Fourth of July weekend as the pages on their agenda book of conquest, and it will take Will Smith in his prime, the unabashedly weird Jeff Goldblum, and a rousing speech from one of the best movie presidents to defend the world and retain Independence Day.

Air Force One (1997)

Remember how I said Independence Day had one of the best movie versions of a US President in history? Well, Air Force One has the one that I personally think overshadows him. After a band of Russian radicals sneak onto the President’s private airplane and hijack every passenger but POTUS himself, the Commander in Chief is tasked with saving as many of his staff as possible and foiling the terrorists’ plot. With the iconic Harrison Ford in a role practically designed for him and Gary Oldman as the fiery leader of the hijackers, Air Force One shows us that a president can fight for a cause with his hands just as effectively as with his politics. It’d be hard to picture President Obama pulling of something similar. The snapshot of him “curling” two tiny weights seems to come to mind….

Rocky (1976)

This movie put Sylvester Stallone on the map of movie icons and showed audiences how anyone can become almost anything when they have a tough jaw that can withstand the devastating hay-makers of life. A small-time fighter in Philly, this man was desperate to prove his worth to himself and those around him, and that’s just what he did. The timeless American dream personified, Rocky Balboa is the every-man that literally fought for what he dreamed about, and his journey to the final bout with the champion Apollo Creed shows us how dedication and the belief in oneself can lead to success all the way until the final bell, despite what the world or judges might say.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

When I think classic movies, one of the first people I think of is Jimmy Stewart, and when I think Jimmy Stewart, I think of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. In this film, Stewart plays the titular Mr. Smith, the leader of a Boy Scouts equivalent who manages to be appointed to fill an empty seat in the Senate. Over a short time, this plain man with an unwavering belief in the virtues of America sees the backwards dealing in the government system that he has cherished for his whole life, and he decides to do what it takes to make his mark up on Capitol Hill.

The Sandlot (1993)

The sport of baseball goes hand-in-hand with Americana, and this movie shows us just how well it unites us all. When a new kid in town named Scottie Smalls goes in search of friends for the summer, he stumbles upon a gang of neighborhood kids playing the national pastime and decides to join in. Over the course of this summer, Smalls learns about the things that make life in this small town worthwhile for boys like him: the roasted “mallows” made in the tree house, the lifeguard at the public pool that they can’t help but gawk at, and the dusty field that hosts their daily ballgames.

Forest Gump (1994)

Never before has a movie cut off such a big slice of American history and culture, and I doubt any movie ever will. As American as the aforementioned baseball, this film puts history in a cinematic capsule and never ceases to keep us entertained. Forrest Gump is a simple-minded man with a big heart and an uncanny ability to find himself in the middle of a some of the biggest moments in modern history. He showed an undiscovered Elvis Presley how to dance with the hips, he fought in Vietnam, met the Black Panthers, played a part in Ping-Pong Diplomacy in China, called in a robbery at the Watergate Hotel, invented the Smiley Face logo with his dirty face, and invested in a then-small “fruit company” named Apple, and all while falling in love with the first girl that he ever loved.

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Ok, I may be reaching here, but hear this pick out. While this is a superhero movie with an unrealistic premise and villain, the first Captain America movie holds a consistent theme of protecting the country that you love from those who seek to destroy it. Steve Rogers was a puny weakling with a shot at being something big, and he carried through with it. He didn’t want to stand around in a costume and sell war bonds in a spandex suit, but instead fight the Nazis and their extension, Hydra, who were seeking to destroy the free world. Sure, his suit is ridiculously cheesy, and yes, it’s not what you would initially think of as deserving a spot on this list, but what says American pride like a guy in a red, white, and blue outfit socking bad guys and striving for what’s right? Exactly.

In this coming weekend, I hope that you truly remember what makes America and its idea great. Though things have changed in our appearance since 55 men signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776, be it in social issues, political party roller coasters, or our massive reach in our modern world, America is still a placed that we should respect and honor this weekend, and I think these movies could be just what we need.