10 Bible Verses For College Freshmen

10 Bible Verses For College Freshmen

It's a new chapter, but it's not a new God.

494
10 Bible Verses For College Freshmen

You're counting down the days until it's finally time to pack up the car and journey to your new four-year (if you can actually graduate that quickly) home. You can't wait, but you're dreading it. You're prepared but have absolutely no clue what you're doing. You're so ready to be on your own, but you can't imagine living a single day without your mom cooking you dinner. There are a lot of emotions that come with starting your freshmen year of college. Here are some Bible verses to remind you that not only is God excited for you, but he's got this!

1. If you're afraid God won't be with you.

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” - Lamentations 3:22-24

God doesn't extend His mercies every so often. He extends them every second of every day. All you have to do is grab onto it, ask God to refresh you with his holy spirit and get rolling.

2. If you're afraid of entering a new environment.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." - Hebrews 13:8

God is the one constant we can hold onto without fear. If you're afraid of change, you have the greatest hope to cling to! And that hope never changes.

3. If you're stressed about packing, classes, and everything in between.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

I know, I know. We often look at these verses that declare, "Don't be anxious!" And we think, "But I can't help it!" God knows what you're going through, and the truth is that he wants to help. Therefore, try your hardest to let God take care of the worries for you.

4. If you're worried about homesickness.

"As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem." - Isaiah 66:13

My first year of college, I was unbearably homesick for the first month, and looking back, I realize that all I really wanted was to just be comforted. Doesn't this verse paint an awesome picture? God comforting his children? Believe me when I say that homesickness will subside, but if anything, believe God when he says that he will comfort you.

5. If you're hoping to make a home.

"In my father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you." - John 14:2

It's important to know that this verse is spoken by Jesus. Therefore, if you're haunted by a home that isn't really a home, know that even if college doesn't become your sanctuary, Jesus is preparing one for you! Someday God will pick you up and place you in a dwelling made just for you. You can believe this because his love for us is so strong that he even once sent his son to live in our worldly home. So don't focus on your dysfunctional home or your possible college home. Focus on your forever home.

6. If you're worried about making new friends.

"And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken." - Ecclesiastes 4:12

You may have heard this verse in regards to the father, son, and holy spirit. Or maybe you've heard it at a wedding to describe a husband and wife who invite God into their marriage. However, this verse can easily help with friendship as well. "A threefold cord is not quickly broken." That means a group of strong friends can help each other make it through the bad. Just make sure to steer clear of friends who may steer you into the bad.

7. If you really wanted to attend another school.

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:11-13

The true source of happiness is the father. Therefore, it's possible that you can be content in any situation. It's hard, but definitely possible. Let God be the strength that carries you through.

8. If you just don't know what you want to major in.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit." - Matthew 28:19

Afraid you have no clue what God's calling you to do with your life? Guess what? It's right there in Matthew. Regardless of occupation, city, or age, God calls all of us to make disciples. Therefore, rejoice in the truth that Jesus hasn't put our calling in some unanswerable riddle. Matthew wrote it down, and it's clear as day.

9. If you have no clue what to expect.

"For the son of man is going to come in his father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done." - Matthew 16:27

You may not know what your year is going to look like, but you can be sure about one future event: Jesus' return. Therefore, keep your thoughts and actions focused on preparing for the event that you can expect. Chances are, doing things for Jesus will be a great formula for having a great year.

10. If you're ready for a fresh start.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." - Psalm 51:10

God cleans our hearts and makes them pure, and he lifts our spirits so that we may go make disciples and baptize them in his name. I pray that you allow him to do this for you during this new chapter in your life. God's so excited for you, so let him equip you with a new heart!