The 7 Stages of Finals Week

The 7 Stages of Finals Week

Finals are coming. Are you prepared?

30
The 7 Stages of Finals Week
Coub

The sun shines warmly on the freshly cut green of the quad, but there isn't a Frisbee-throwing college student in sight. The Dunkin's line is almost never-ending; when you try to find the end you come back to the beginning in a circle. The fight for an open desk at the library resembles the fight for a spot at a Saharan watering hole. Yes, my friends, finals week is upon us.

1. The pre-finals week false sense of self-confidence.

You know how you plan to start studying a week, two weeks in advance? You say to yourself, "Yeah, I'm going start studying now instead of cramming, like a good, prepared, responsible student!" And then bam, your finals start in two days and you got so busy doing the 20 other assignments your professors gave you that you forgot to pre-study. Same.

It's OK bud, your intentions were good. We've all been there.

2. The pre-final review lecture affair.

So there you are, with your notebook open, ready for your professor to go over the basics of your final. Easy enough, right? You started studying a bit, so you should be relieved that you know what's going to be on the final, correct? Wait, there was a chapter seven? There's going to be a Latin translation section?! thought this was Chem 2! Where are these things coming from and why is this final worth half of my grade? I was wrong, so, so very wrong. This is not going to be easy. Panic. Panic.

3. The communal decision that you're dropping out.

Walking back from the review lecture with your friends:

"How are we expected to know this?"

"Where did any of this crap even come from?"

"Are we seriously supposed to memorize that?"

"Wait, so is she seriously not scaling our grades or is she just saying that?"

"How many points do we need to get an A? ... Oh ... What about to pass?"

"Dude. I'm just going to drop out. I can't do this."

"Yeah, me too."

"Same. Bye, college, it was nice while it lasted. Peace."

4. The realization that you, in fact, cannot drop out, and must take this exam.

"Dang."

5. The Final's Eve group study sesh.

You and all of your classmates decide to have a final study group to go over the practice exam —

sometimes this works right away, and sometimes you all just complain about the exam for 30 minutes then break off and study on your own in the same room, realizing that you really, really need to get down to studying. Some people might try to break off in smaller groups, some put in earbuds and crank music, and some have already given up —

accepting their fate scrolling through Snapchat stories. To each his own, I guess.

6. This is it, the big one, the day you've been stressing about: taking the final.

Everyone approaches this momentous event differently.

You have the people who pulled an all-nighter, hopped up on caffeine, looking a little bit like an extra in "The Walking Dead."

There are the kids who got a few hours of sleep, then got up early to cram a bit more for the test, hoping that some of it would stick.

You've got the kid who walks in and sit downs, looking a little lost, asking everyone for a pencil,or how long the exam is. Wait —

who are you? Then you realize it —

this kid never even went to lecture. Ballsy move, kid. Ballsy move.

Then, of course, there are the kids who feel 100 percent ready to ace the exam and probably have felt that way throughout the entire course. They studied but didn't have to, got 100 percent on every assignment, are best buds with the professor and always sit in the front. They're the type of student you always want to be, but let's be real, you probably won't be. Life is too hectic for that. What? I'm busy. I've got commitments. And. Other ... stuff. Wait —

are they smiling waiting for this test?

"You can flip over the test and start the exam."

And you're off . Time to shine, kiddo. All that hard work over the semester? Here you go.

Oh, and then there's the kid who's 10 minutes late, and what an entrance. Face red, lungs wheezing, bed-head on point. You can't forget about them (like they almost did about this exam).

7. The post-final ball of emotions.

You survived! You made it through, and the exam probably sucked, or maybe it was great! Honestly, though, you finished it and got through to the other side. Sweet. That's what matters.

"What did I get for number two? Oh, I think, wait ... uh I don't know, actually. Did I blackout during that test?"

You might get stressed about your grade, but, for the moment, it's pure bliss. You made it out alive! Who cares how you did? You finished. You're done —

never have to sit through that lecture or lab ever again! Time to chuck those notes in the trash —

goodbyeee.

I mean, yes, of course you care how you did. But for now? Nah. Let it be.

Finals week has passed, and students are crawling back out of their study spaces and into the sunlight. Congratulations to all of the students who have made it through, and a moment of silence for those not so lucky to survive finals week —

we will toss our Frisbees in your memory.

To those approaching finals week, it's OK. It'll suck, but you'll get through it (mostly) unscathed. We believe in you, bud.