Why 90s Kids Needed 'Fuller House'

Why 90s Kids Needed 'Fuller House'

Thank Netflix for Uncle Jesse.

142
Why 90s Kids Needed 'Fuller House'
People

"Fuller House" is finally here, and of course there are mixed reviews swarming the internet. I've read my fair share of the reviews to get an idea of viewer's reactions, not that I let them influence my own opinion. Not surprisingly, what I found was a lot of whiny complaints.

Personally, I'm getting real tired of the word "critic". Of course, a critic must critique, but why must everything be ripped to shreds instantly? It's almost expected at this point, critics will have nothing nice to say and that won't mean they won't say anything at all. Apparently the premier was painful and excruciating. Apparently I didn't think so. Everything is immediately nit-picked to find the worst qualities and flaws, and turn them into travesties to seem like they are actually newsworthy.

What's so wrong with actually liking something? What would happen if we nit-picked something for the purpose of finding the positives, instead? Is there no more positive critique, or must we just all hate everything? This judgmental mentality that starts with headlines and viral social media articles is what fuels the societal need to constantly criticize. As if your opinion matters more or is seen to be more valid when it is on the negative bandwagon. Cut it out, already.

I loved "Fuller House." Before the release on Netflix this week, it was highly anticipated by every 90s child who basically grew up wishing they were a part of the Tanner family. How many times have we reminisced on "Full House," day dreaming of what a reunion would be like? Even as I've gotten older, I can't deny that "Full House" is one of the perfect shows to just turn on and binge watch when I need a feel-good, mindless distraction from reality.

90s kids needed "Fuller House." We needed something that brought nostalgic imagery and phrases that we've grown up bonding over back into our lives. Even if they're cheesy - how could they not have thrown "how rude" or "cut it out" in there? We needed to see the characters grown up with their "impossible" new jobs to see where they went in life (let's face it, if they didn't end up with successful jobs, there would be complaints about that, too). We needed to see that their friendships hadn't dissolved 20 years later and ours don't have to either. We needed to be reminded that family will have your back and take care of you even as an adult. As "Full House" has always stressed and continues to, you don't have to be perfect or always make the best decisions to be loved by those who truly care about you. We're all allowed to mess up here and there.

We get to think about how times have changed from then to now with technology and electronic devices that occupy the time of children today, instead of playing in the yard like we used to. We get to see how the things that seemed like a crisis to the characters as they were growing up can be laughed about in the future as they sip on tequila at the bar. We get to see that being nerdy or uncomfortable in grade school means that you still have the potential to be a hot ballroom dancer in your 30s. We get to see that the one you obsessed over and chased after for years might actually end up chasing you later on. And that you even have the option to turn them down because there are a million other options in the world.

Whether or not you were a "Full House" fan previously, I think we can all agree that it's pretty awesome we got a chance to see the Tanner family over two decades later, even if it is only for one season. Perhaps you have a favorite show from your childhood that you wish would do something similar, and perhaps this reunion season will spark that.

So enough of the over dramatic reviews and whiny complaints, and let's just pop a bag of popcorn and enjoy how hot Uncle Jesse will always be. Have mercy!