5 Epic Hikes Of La Crosse

5 Epic Hikes Of La Crosse

Beautiful local hikes for anyone any day of the week.

8541
5 Epic Hikes Of La Crosse
Hannah Murphy

As students at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse or residents in the La Crosse area, we are extremely fortunate to have the bluffs, river, and marshlands at our finger tips, especially through all four seasons. We all see the mighty bluffs as we drive in along HWY 16, looking up through the passenger side window at the foliage and sandstone. Our bluffs and marshlands are even visible from campus! We look at these bluffs on a daily basis, and the best part is we can hike them on a daily basis, too! Here are five epic La Crosse hikes that every UWL student and local resident should experience.

1. Rim of the City

If you're up for the challenge, Rim of the City's gradual incline will eventually lead you atop of the city and HWY 16, which you can see pictured below way down in the top right corner. Rim of the City is one of the less frequented bluffs resulting in quieter hikes and more chances to see wildlife. The trail starts at the base of Bluff Pass Rd off of HWY 16 up through what looks to be someone's driveway. Stick left on the trail, engage your glutes, and hang on to your hat—the wind tends to pick up the higher you go. As you hike up through trees and over rocks, you emerge to skirt the cliff face of the bluff with an unobstructed view for miles. Combined, the view and height of the bluff create an exhilarating experience on a clear day, but completing the hike by the luminescence of the moon and the city's lights is a whole new experience, night and day.

2. Miller Bluff

When friends say, "We're going on a bluff hike this weekend!" they are most likely referring to scaling up the infamous Miller Bluff. Miller Bluff is a steep, at times muddy, hike to an overlook of the University's campus, the neighboring Grand Dad Bluff, and the golf course below. The trail starts to the right of the Hixon Forest parking lot, accessible through Bluff Pass Road. From there, the trail leads you up. You'll encounter a series of ascents over exposed tree roots, the trail plateauing off in certain parts like the landing of a staircase only for a quick chance to catch your breath. Don't forget to look behind you and recognize how high you've scaled. Eventually you will see the yellow-orange sandstone, which means it's time to climb! Rock scramble over the slippery sandstone to the base of the bluff. If you have never hiked over sandstone, it is the consistency of wetter, finer beach sand that can require traction on boots to maneuver after a rain. Make sure to check out all of the beautiful birch that juts off from the bluff's sides. If the view from the base of the bluff, as pictured below isn't enough, feel free to head to the very top, above the tree line and the entire city. Just remember what you climb up must be climbed down.

3. La Crosse River Marsh Trails

If you are looking for a flatter, paved trail to explore on, the La Crosse River Marsh Trails are the place to go. You can hop on the paved trails just east of Myrick Park at the end of East Ave North. Because these trails are paved, biking and rollerblading are very popular in the warmer months. Hiking on paved paths may not seem as extreme as the other hikes mentioned, but the offshoots of dirt trails and the wildlife visible through the marshland make this an extremely unique outdoor recreation location inside city limits. Keep an eye out for turtles, owl, geese, coot, beaver, muskrat, cranes, and frogs. I recommend bringing a hammock and a book for setting up along the trails or off on an offshoot of trail. The trails extend from the Myrick Park area either west behind the Oktoberfest grounds downtown to the river or northeast through Onalaska, linking with the La Crosse River State Trail and continuing to meet with the Sparta Elroy State Trail. In total, there are over 50 miles of trails that can be explored any time of the year with endless views of bluffs, greenery, and wildlife.

4. Rotary Vista Trail

Rotary Vista is the perfect leisurely afternoon hiking trail with friends or family. The 2.5-mile trail starts to the left of the Hixon Forest parking lot road accessible from Bluff Pass Road. Rotary Vista is loaded with switchbacks, which are sharper turns in a trail to reduce carving a steeper trail straight up for hikers. Think of a switchback as a wheelchair ramp instead of a staircase. Rotary Vista is a popular mountain biking trail so if you hear wheels spinning from behind or above you, make sure to share the road. In hindsight, the bikers are suppose to yield to the hikers. As you hike up the trail, you can gauge your gains as the roads become farther below you, the tips of the tree tops getting closer to your level. You climb with the trees. Along with the other hikes, there is plenty of bird watching and beautiful birch trees that can be observed on your trek. One of the best parts about the Rotary Vista trail is the outlook towards the top and the benches that line the trail for a rest or just to take in the quiet blufflands. When hiking Rotary Vista, you are in the midst of all of the other surrounding bluffs, creating a very forested and secluded area away from cars and the view of houses. Once at the top, you can connect to the lookout or continue on to the Rim of the City as previously mentioned. Why stop at one hike when there are so many more?

5. Quarry Trail

The Quarry Trail is a linkage between the Hixon Forest and the Blufflands Preseve Area. The difference between this hike is that it starts atop the bluffs. There are numerous ways to get to the start of the Quarry Trail. If you wanted to do a full day of hiking, you could take the Rim of the City Trail or the Rotary Vista Trail to the top of the bluffs and then walk over to the trailhead. Otherwise, you can drive up Bliss Road off of Losey Ave and take that up towards Grand Dad Bluff swinging a left at the Alpine Bar. The trailhead starts at the north dead end of County Road FA. The Quarry Trail is also interlinked with the Human Powered Trails further down on County Road FA by the weather station. Once on the grassy trail, it is harder to hear the cars, and there are virtually zero people up on the trail. I like to think of it as one of the more hidden hikes of La Crosse. The trail will lead you down a pretty steep stretch, but with the old quarry in sight. I suggest climbing down into the quarry's basin and having a look around at all of the old fallen rock and the remnants of old campfire pits people have made. The quarry is something many La Crosse residents and UWL students know very little about. This hike is best when freely explored! There are tons of beautiful outlooks and a few run down, mysterious shacks that are neat to venture around. The next time you're thinking of hiking a bluff, definitely give the quarry a thought!

La Crosse's bluff and marshlands are true gems of the city. If you have been a mere observer of the bluff and marshlands in the past, I urge you to tackle at least one or all of the epic ascents mentioned! With all five hikes within walking distance from campus, there is even more reason to get out there and explore. Hike on!