When Pit Bulls Attack

When Pit Bulls Attack

The story of how I learned the hard way.

30
When Pit Bulls Attack
ASPCA

Growing up, I subscribed to the never-ending list of Pit Bull stereotypes as much as the next person.

The truth was that I’d never really been educated about the breed, which is often the case for most people. The only thing that I’d ever learned about Pit Bulls was that they were vicious dogs that could attack and kill at the drop of a hat, and that I should stay away from them.

In fact, I had a terrifying image branded in my mind of a menacing junkyard dog on a chain, growling and foaming at the mouth. Many people can say the same.

My family had always been very into Labrador Retrievers. When I was seven, my parents, brother and I rescued a mild-mannered yellow lab named Buddy. My relatives on both sides of the family are fans of the breed. My mother’s parents in particular, historically fell into this category.

After losing both their beloved labradors in a short period of time, my grandparents were unsure of whether they wanted to take on the responsibility of having another dog. Dogs are a big commitment, time-wise and emotionally. For a while, it seemed like maybe they were finished with rescuing new pets, and were satisfied with their cat, Fluffy.

However, on a seemingly innocuous trip to the local humane society, everything changed. My grandparents and mother unexpectedly left with a new friend in tow.

Her name was Erin, and she was a Pit Bull. She'd ended up in the animal shelter after being taken from her home after being abused by her previous owners. She was around a year old, and had already had a litter of seven puppies.

When my mother called to tell me that my mild-mannered grandparents had taken in a Pit Bull, I was surprised and apprehensive. My mind immediately replayed the scenes in "The Sandlot" where the neighborhood kids were terrorized by their fears of the Beast, a fear-mongering dog that lived over the fence. (Even though he wasn't a pit bull.)

Much to my relief, it only took one meeting with Erin to realize that all of my fears had been far off. The dog who I assumed would be harsh, ruthless, and terrifying, ended up being harshly loving, ruthlessly friendly, and terrifyingly affectionate.

I learned many valuable lessons from my friend Erin. Among them, I learned the don’t-judge-a-book-by-its-cover cliché. But most importantly, I learned that like other animals, children, and even adults, Pit Bulls are highly impressionable creatures. They learn to behave based on how they are treated.

If these dogs are raised with love and kindness, they will learn to be loving and kind dogs. On the flip side, if they are mistreated, they will learn to react to the world with defensive behaviors they feel they need to survive.

Pit Bulls, and other dogs, are a lot like children. If a child is hit, or abused, they are more likely to be defensive, violent, and to exhibit the same behaviors. If children are treated with love and support, they will often learn to love and support others.

If raised correctly, Pit Bulls will attack with love and not violence, much like any person or living creature in the world.

Contrary to popular belief, when the majority of pit bulls attack, they attack with slobbery kisses. They jump on your legs, nearly knocking you to the floor because they cannot contain their excitement since you came through the door. They attack for attention, or because they want to play.

I love my grandparents’ pit bull as much as I love my own dog. Since my grandmother passed away last year, she has served as a loyal protector of my grandfather, and heeds his every word when she’s not perched at the window, intently watching the yard. She is a loving and dedicated companion.

Nothing excites me more than when she comes to sit on my lap, or excitedly slobbers on my mom, or rough-houses on the floor with my dad. I have great joy watching her freak out whenever she hears her trigger words: cat, squirrel, walk, etc.

Erin and I have even taken quite a few quality naps on the couch together and have gone for some great walks. She's drenched me in her slobber on countless occasions. Her wildly wagging tail is her most frequently utilized weapon.

Even though she is an “escape artist” according to my mom, and we’ve had to chase her around the neighborhood when she decides she wants to go for a run, no one can stay mad at her for long. This Pit Bull is one of the best dogs I have ever met.

It saddens me to think of how much danger this loving dog could be in if she was caught accidentally wandering through the neighborhood by the wrong person.

Now that I know the truth about Pit Bulls, I am increasingly attuned to the injustices that they face. I was shocked to learn that there are even bans in entire municipalities all over the United States that prevent Pit Bulls from living in city limits. The same stereotypes that I once believed cause the breed to have a reputation as being undesirable dogs. As a result, they are not readily adopted, and often killed because of the widespread beliefs that have been wrongly spread about them.

I’m not saying that every Pit Bull is like Erin.

That’s a ridiculous assertion, and a sweeping generalization. What I am saying is that sweeping generalizations are not good, no matter how you spin them. Just because some Pit Bulls have bad temperaments doesn’t mean that these traits can be applied to the whole group. There are some really mean German Shepherds, and Chihuahuas, and even Labs out there, too. People are very quick to attack things that they do not understand, and Pit Bulls are characteristically misunderstood and often fall into this category.

I don't expect anyone who has an aversion to Pit Bulls to go out and adopt one after reading this. I’m just suggesting that before you decide to attack a Pit Bull, it may be wise to let one “attack” you first, just as you would approach any other breed.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

For more information regarding Pit Bulls, I recommend reading the ASPCA's position statement on the breed.