Staying Safe On Spring Break As Told By 'The Hangover'

To the nights you'll never forget!

45

Spring break is quickly approaching, but before you check out mentally, you should brush up on some safety tips and tricks so that you can enjoy your vacation and come back healthy, rejuvenated and full of stories to tell.

Getting There

We've all heard that it's about the journey, not the destination, and while that may not seem the case when you're about to embark on a long and dull car/plane/bus/train ride to paradise, arriving at your destination safely is certainly a task too big to be overlooked. If you're driving, be sure that you are alert and that your co-pilot is also just as awake. As the hours pass by, and the roads seem to blur as your autopilot kicks in, it's better to have two sets of eyes on the road than one. Plus, the company may help you to stay off of autopilot, which is essential for long trips.

For those who will be taking a cab at some point in their travels, keep in mind that all genuine taxis will have some sort of ID or badge. You can check for this before accepting a ride. If at any point in your ride you feel unsafe, have the driver pull over to a safe location that you can get out at. Leave the money on the seat and go. Trust your instincts. You can always call another cab if the one you're in seems off.

At Your Hotel

Never announce where you are staying. Be aware of your surroundings when discussing it with friends and roommates. You never know who is listening. It is, however, a good idea to grab a hotel card from the front desk so that if you do get lost you can easily ask for directions by calling the front desk. When you get to your room, ensure that the locks on your windows and doors work properly, and lock them accordingly. If there is a safe in your room, make use of it for your valuables. Don't leave your expensive tablet laying out when you leave. On that note, if there is a balcony, refrain from leaving anything valuable there as well. If someone wants to steal it, it can be stolen. Think of it as your car: you don't leave your laptop in the front seat when you leave it parked on the street. Treat your hotel room in the same respect.

Out Partying

Of course, the number one safety tip here is to be responsible. Yes, it is your time to let loose and have fun, but you can have a good time while partying and still be smart about it. First: don't drink if you're underage. If you're of age, plan ahead by determining your limits while sober. Do you want to get drunk? Figure out how you will get back to the hotel. Do you want to have sex? Make sure you have protection with you. Making these decisions early on will help to make sure you don't do anything you'll regret the next morning. If you decide to drink, know where your drink is coming from. Don't take a drink from anyone other than the bartender, and never leave your drink unattended. Be aware, date rape drugs can be slipped into non-alcoholic drinks as well! Extreme wooziness, confusion, difficulty standing or slurred speech are all possible symptoms of predatory drugs. If you or someone you know experiences any of them, get to a safe place immediately and if the symptoms are severe, go to a hospital. Don't try to impress anyone and don't try to go shot for shot with anyone. It isn't a game or race. How alcohol affects you is not how it will affect anyone else, and by trying to compete with others, you could end up in the hospital. Lastly, while traveling in groups doesn't make you immune to criminal activity, sexual or not, it is always in your best interest to come with friends and leave with those same friends never leave anyone behind.

Sex

Consent is key. If it is not an enthusiastic yes, it is a no. Each party, regardless of gender, must give explicit consent before engaging in any sexual activity, and consent to one thing does not mean consent to everything. Giving consent is ongoing, and you have the right to say no at any point. Be prepared by having an honest dialogue with yourself before even embarking on your trip. Decide on your personal boundaries. If you are OK with having sex on your trip, consider the details as well. Where would you want to have sex, what sexual acts would you want to partake in, and who would you be want to have sex with? Decide on your limits early on, and if you are open to having sexual contact, be sure to take the proper precautions. Get tested before and after your trip, bring and use condoms, and don't shy away from asking your partner(s) about their sexual history and whether they have been tested and when as well. Safe sex is the responsibility of each party, not just men or women.

Once You're Home

You took a ton of great pictures and made a ton of amazing memories over break and you just can't wait to share with the world! You made it home safe, so what trouble could you get into now? Be aware of what you post online. If you're posting pictures of yourself drinking or doing drugs you could have your job terminated and potential employers may determine you to be unfit for hire before even going in for an interview. Being 21 and over does not give you a free pass. If you have pictures of yourself going wild, it can hurt you professionally. Nothing you post on the Internet is private. Always keep that in mind.

No matter where you go for spring break, have fun and be safe. Always have a plan and a backup plan, and be aware of your surroundings.