10 Reasons Why Boyhood Is the Best Movie of the Year

284

Boyhood, directed by Richard Linklater, is an independent film that came out earlier this summer about a boy’s life over the course of 12 years. The story follows the lives of main character Mason (Ellar Coltraine), his sister Samantha, (Lorelai Linklater), mother Olivia, (Patricia Arquette), and father Mason Sr., (Ethan Hawke), and the several other people Mason comes in contact with throughout his childhood and adolescence.

What makes this movie unique though is the fact that it was gradually filmed year by year over the course of actor Ellar Coltrane’s childhood. This unique take on a drama allows for an authentic sense of character development that was before unheard of in Hollywood. This real-time style creates a sense of honesty and actuality that simply can’t be duplicated by a formulaic coming of age movie.

So, if you haven’t seen this film yet or if you want to reminisce on its greatness, here are 10 reasons why Boyhood is the best movie of the year.   

1.     The cultural timeline. Set in the years 2000 to 2012, this movie offers a glimpse into the culture of each year in between. From the video games played in the mid 2000's to the political events leading to a new presidency in 2008, this film gives a pop culture overview of the past decade in a way that is truly unique to cinema. 

2.     The patience it took to film. Only shooting a handful of scenes once a year over a 12-year period must have taken a lot of discipline and devotion. I respect that, and I think this adds to the film’s character. 

3.     The bold approach. If you think about it, Linklater had no idea how Ellar Coltrane would turn out. He just chose this kid, thinking he might grow up to be a charismatic, decent, little actor. Obviously, it all ended up working out. But what a commitment to a child who you are truly banking on when it could have just as easily gone south.   

4.     The dialogue. I cannot stress enough the realism conveyed by this film. Apparently a decent amount was vaguely scripted, and the actors pulled it off beautifully. The conversations feel so fluid and natural. Some of the most realistic and effective scenes in the film contain one word answers and long pauses – Subtleties that are few and far between in a conventional drama. 

5.     The honesty of the characters. Apparently Linklater had Ellar Coltrain (Mason) and Lorelai Linklater (Samantha) dress as they would normally when shooting the film. So when watching this film, you truly are watching these young kids develop as they were on and off the screen. Pretty cool. 

6.     The relationships. Over the years, Mason’s relationships with all his family members develop and change. Examining the development of the various relationships that intertwine throughout the film is reason enough to go see it again and again. 

7.     You will relate to the characters. I know I related to several characters in this film in one way or another. These people express struggles and emotions that are so real and true in every day life that it really is easy to establish connections with them. Following them from year to year, you feel so close to these characters, almost as if you were right there with them, supporting them through their life struggles. This is a special connection not too different from how you may feel about a character in your favorite TV series or novel series. 

8.     It touches on common life struggles in unconventional ways. In a conventional movie structure, the director presents his audience with a conflict that sets the stage -- the tragic death or injury, the break up, or the sudden lay off – These are real life stress inducing situations that engage an audience. In Boyhood, there certainly is some conflict. But not in the way you’d expect. There is no big moment 30 to 45 minutes in that drives the plot. In fact, there really is not much of a plot at all. The movie just moves. The audience follows the character's lives as they are. Big things happen, small things happen. But there is no specific climax, conflict or resolution. It’s just a series of events… kind of like life.  

9.     The music. Linklater did an excellent job implementing songs that matched the style of each year. This goes back to the cultural timeline point I was making before. Just about every song in the movie plays during the time it came out, give or take a year. Not to mention, they’re all pretty solid tunes. 

10. Timeless and touching life lessons. I don’t want to give anything away, but the unorthodox style of this film as well as the experiences Mason goes through both point to the subtleties and nuances we often experience in every day life.  

So if you haven’t yet, go see this movie. It really is special. People throw out terms like “it’s one of a kind!” and “so original!” all the time when describing their favorite movies, but Boyhood truly stands in a league of its own in those terms. Boyhood might be the most unique film I’ve ever seen, and it really touches on some simple yet worthwhile life lessons -- You only have one life to live, so live it well, and be in the present. Because life really is just a series of events, and it’s all about how you take advantage of each and every moment.   

Just as Mason says, “it’s constant, the moments, it’s just — it’s like it’s always right now.”