5 Ways An Automobile Is Like A Relationship

Life is a highway, love is a car

989
netsolhost

It takes you places

The term “settle” is used far too often in relationships, from the occasional sigh of “it’s time for me to get settled”, or the nervous “let’s settle down together”, to the rather uncommon “which settlement should we move into?” The reality is, relationships are never stagnant—they’re always moving in one way or another, from one place or another—like a car ride. Let’s face it, when it comes to taking you places, there aren’t many competitors to the automobile. Just like how there are occasional stop signs and lane changes, relationships can come to a screeching halt or zip by at 100 mph! Who knows, after traveling for thousands of miles together, you might end up in the same garage right where you started. Or maybe you’ll be in a different country altogether. No matter what happens though, an automobile will always want to be moving, and so will your relationship.

It’s an investment

Choosing an automobile is not an easy task—it takes time, careful considerations of your values, luck, and often times money. Just like how there are so many kinds of cars, there are equally as many unique individuals in the planet. Do you like speed and exhilaration? Comfort and durability? It’s important to carefully consider what you want in a relationship—and your automobile. Let’s not forget to ask ourselves an important question however. Do I have my permit ready? Because driving can be difficult, and often times, so can fostering a healthy relationship. Before we slam on the accelerator, let’s ask ourselves if we are mentally and emotionally ready for what could be a very long drive.

It’s got many moving parts

People often tell me that as long as it moves (refer back to point 1), they don’t care what car they get. Well, that’s like saying, “as long as it makes me happy, I don’t care what relationship I get into”. We like to think that an automobile and a relationship serves a single simple purpose, but that simply isn’t always the case. Once you buy a car, it can be quite mesmerizing how dynamic it is. It can keep you warm, play music, massage your buttocks, break down abruptly on a highway at 1AM (yes it’s happened), show you directions, etc. Similarly, a relationship can be a source of happiness, but also be a source of worry, excitement, vulnerability, peace, thrill, etc. In order to truly understand and appreciate an automobile, one must learn its boundaries and capabilities. Some cars ride best when cruising down the highway at 80mph, while others shine on the curvy roads of the city—but you’ll never know if you don’t explore. In just the same way, don’t be afraid to find out what makes your relationship unique, what it’s good at doing, and what it can work on improving!

It may need to refuel

Lots of people have this Utopian belief of how cars and relationships never have to refuel. Well, to be fair, some relationships are like electric cars and never have to stop to refuel—but they do need to recharge. Sometimes, it helps to step back and realize that, it less about how fast one gets somewhere, and more about the experience you have getting there. After all, that’s what makes driving fun! The bare sensation of rubber on tarmac, sensing every bump and dip, hearing the drone of the engine, feeling at one with the car and the environment; for me, this is what makes a memorable drive. So ask yourself, do you feel the same bumps, see the same scenery, hear the same sounds—are you in the same lane? Or is it time for a refuel? Once again, there are no right answers, but these may be questions worth considering!

They're both mysterious and beautiful

Now I know that this is where I’ll lose most people. Yes, cars are insanely beautiful things. They come in many colors, shapes, sizes, and capabilities, and so do relationships. Owning your first car is a milestone that we all remember—and don’t bother denying it, we all remember when we got our first car. In the same way, it’s hard to forget what our first relationship felt like. Our souls fill with so many feelings! Perhaps excitement, accomplishment, freedom, or even worry. Regardless of whether we’re still with our very first soul mate (machine or person) though, the feelings it can instill in us, the adventures it can take us on, the doors it can open for us, all make automobiles and relationships beautiful gifts of the human race.