Phrases From "Friends" You Should Use Every Day | The Odyssey Online

Phrases From "Friends" You Should Use Every Day

No one told you life was gonna be this way, but when you're stuck in a tough situation and need something to say, these phrases will be there for you.

823

The show "Friends"is great for so many reasons and will always be considered a classic. Chandler, Ross, Monica, Joey, Phoebe, and Rachel gave us 10 quality years of inside jokes and quotable sayings to utilize in our daily lives. If you aren’t already inserting them into every conversation, here are some awesome phrases to keep in mind.

1. "How you doin’?"

This is a quintessential Joey phrase, and if you don’t recognize it then you probably have never seen a single episode of "Friends."Joey has the most skill of any character at picking up women, and this single phrase, along with his dashing Italian looks, has a lot to do with it.

My recommendation to every man is to try out this pick-up line. I’m not suggesting this is a clever pick-up line that will draw in an intelligent woman who appreciates your wit and charm. It’s not a quality line, but I think it could work just on the mere fact that a "Friends" fanatic would recognize it and get excited (given you deliver it just like Joey). You wouldn’t want to date someone who hasn’t seen this show anyway, so this line will weed them out for you.

2. "We were on a break!"

This is not an opportunity to use this as an excuse for cheating on your girlfriend and whether or not Ross cheated on Rachel is still an important debate. This phrase can be a default excuse for other parts of your life and just like for Ross, it probably will have a low success rate.

Professor: “Why didn’t you study for this test/complete this project/finish the homework?”

You: “WE WERE ON A BREAK! Thanksgiving break. There was so much delicious food even Joey wouldn’t be able to finish it all.”

Mom: "Why were you and Kelsey posting on Instagram while you were at work?"

You: "We were on a break mom, don't worry. I'm better at my minimum wage job than Monica is at being a chef."

3. "I’m being transferred to Yemen."

This can be used in so many different scenarios in your life. You could use it the same way Chandler did, which was to get out of committing to a relationship he didn’t want to be in.

Stuck in a conversation with someone you don’t like? Want to get out of plans on Saturday night? Tell everyone you are moving to Yemen. They will be understanding because you have a lot of packing and planning to do.

Even if it doesn't make sense in the context of your situation, telling someone you are being transferred to Yemen is sure to throw them off and give you enough time to think of a legitimate excuse.

4. "A moo point."

It’s like a cow’s opinion. It just doesn’t matter. It’s moo.

This is an example of Joey’s brilliant logic. Even though there are times when you question his intelligence, like when he mixes up the terms "Homo sapien" and "homosexual," or when he claims to speak French and it's actually gibberish, this line of thinking is insightful. Is he wrong? No! If a cow tried to give you advice on your human issues, you would ignore its mooing because how can it possibly understand your problems? That cow’s opinion doesn’t matter!

Use this phrase to your college peers and professors if you really want to impress them with your word knowledge.

5. "No uterus, no opinion."

Rachel gave women everywhere a great line to shut down any man. When a guy tells you your period cramps cannot be that bad, throw this phrase at them. The next time a male explains why Planned Parenthood should be defunded, or supports the tampon tax, you now have the perfect rebuttal.

6. "He’s her lobster!"

Phoebe has some of the most meaningful and deep thoughts, and this phrase proves that she is all-knowing and connected with the animal world. As she explains, lobsters mate for life and find their perfect partners. You can actually see old lobster couples walking around their tanks holding claws!

She could have chosen a more romantic animal that mates for life, like a swan, but you don’t question Phoebe. You just listen in awe.

7. "Isn’t that just kick-you-in-the-crotch, spit-on-your-neck fantastic?"

Rachel, flustered at the realization that the love of her life started dating someone new, rattles off this incredible phrase. It is so versatile and can be used for any situation where something crappy happens and you force yourself to find the humor in it.

8. "I’m hopeless and awkward and desperate for love!"

Just like Chandler, we have all felt like this at some point. He perfectly expresses what it’s like when you’ve been single for too long and just can’t seem to find your perfect match.

Chandler struggles a lot during the series to find the love of his life, but he also gives us the most hope because Chandler was able to find his lobster and so can we!

9. Unagi

Whenever you make a perceptive observation or solve an issue, try out this new catchphrase: Unagi. When you say this word, you have to accompany it with direct, intense eye contact while you press your fingers against your temple, just like Ross.

If any of your friends try to steal this word from you to highlight their own knowledge, counter it with Rachel’s phrase: Ah, Salmon Skin Roll.

Either way, the people around you will be so impressed with your intelligent use of different words for sushi.

10. "I know you all hate me, and I’m sorry, but I don’t care."

The ultimate way to live your life is to do what makes you happy, despite what anyone around you may think. When Monica gets involved in a cooking class, she is able to flaunt her skills and impress the teacher, angering the other students. Their glares don't stop her from doing what she does best and loving every minute of it.

Whether she is dominating her profession, rocking wildly frizzy hair in the Barbados, or feeling comfortable with her body weight, Monica has the confidence we should all embrace for ourselves.