10 Things My Future Husband Should Know

10 Things My Future Husband Should Know

“There is no more lovely, friendly or charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.”

287
10 Things My Future Husband Should Know

Dear Future Husband,

I just want you to know that it had to have taken quite some thought for you to know in your heart that you would want to spend the rest of your life with me. Ever since I was a little girl, I have constantly been praying for you. I have been praying for your health. I have been praying for your well-being. I have been praying for your heart. I have been praying that by the time you come to the realization that I am the woman you want to spend the rest of your life with, that you know deep down in your heart that we will become one. I just want you to know a few things…

1. I want to see the world

If you decide you want to marry me, just know that I want to see the world. I want to go backpacking through Europe, go on a mission trip anywhere in South America, learn how to surf in Hawaii, and help build schools in the Philippines. I want to go to an airport, close my eyes, and point to a departure and hop on the next plane out. I crave adventure, and it would mean so much if you joined me on my crazy shenanigans to take on the world.

2. We will fight, I know it

Our marriage won’t always be rainbows and butterflies. We will fight. That’s a fact. I am stubborn and I love to have the last word in an argument, because that’s just who I am. Be patient with me, because I will never stay angry for long. I would rather you fight with me than to not care at all. We will fight because we care so much about one another. Even if we do argue, I know we will end up talking it out and realizing how dumb it was to fight over something so trivial in the first place. Just know that even if I say some mean and nasty things during our arguments, it will never take away from how much I love you.

3. We will have kids

I want children. That’s not a question. For as long as I can remember, I have always had the innate need to take care of my loved ones, because that’s when my heart is happiest. From taking care of people when they’re sick, to cooking them food when they’re hungry, to giving them a home to stay in when needed, I cannot wait to have children of my own. We will raise our children to respect everyone no matter the color of their skin or the home they’ve been raised in. We will raise our children to never stop chasing their dreams, no matter how much the world tells them otherwise. Our children will be as driven and passionate about life as we are, and one day, we will be able to let them take on the world too.

4. I am nowhere near perfect, and I know you aren't either

We didn’t want to marry each other because we’re perfect. A marriage is about accepting your spouse for all that they embody, even their flaws. Goodness, I know I’m the furthest from it. From flipping my hair whenever I know that I am right, to saying “Hm” when I know I won an argument. I am short-tempered, and I will keep arguing until I have the last word. One thing you will have to learn with me is to be patient, and I will learn to be patient with you. A marriage is a constant journey of growth, and I know that when the time comes, I will be ready to take on that journey with you.

5. My family means the world to me

Just know that I will drop almost everything for my family. They have dealt with me at the worst and most difficult stages of me, and have loved me unconditionally. They have uplifted me after the many times life has knocked me down, and have given me the strength to always keep fighting. I know in my heart that you will love them as much as I do and they will welcome you with open arms. You’ll come to my many family parties and talk endlessly with my aunts and uncles as you eat the unlimited food they’ll put on your plate. They’ll laugh at your jokes when you attempt to be funny. They may even call you before me if they ever need to get dropped off at the airport at 4 a.m. My family is my heart, and in due time, they will become your family too.

6. Before you ask me to marry you, ask my parents for permission

Call me old-fashioned, but I will love it if you’re chivalrous, and that includes asking permission from my parents for my hand in marriage. If there is anyone in this world who knows me better than I know myself, it would be my mom and dad. You have to be approved by them — no questions asked. They know what’s best for me, so by asking for their approval, that shows a lot of courage and respect in you as a person. By respecting their wishes, they will know you will respect me as a wife. In asking permission for you to take my hand in marriage, you are asking them permission to be part of the family.

7. I don't have to be your everything, but I would like to be part of everything in your life

Tell me about your hopes and dreams. Tell me what kind of life you’re determined to accomplish for us as a family. Tell me about your favorite football team, and I’ll tell you about my favorite Netflix series. Tell me about how you’re feeling and why you’re upset. Tell me what I need to do to lift your spirit back up again. Your world does not have to revolve around me, but let me into your heart and mind when you decide that I am the woman you want to spend the rest of your life with.

8. Never stop trying

Even though you may have a ring on my finger, just know that I never want you to stop strengthening our marriage. There is always something new to learn about your spouse, whether you’ve been married for one month or 25 years. I will never get tired of you opening the door for me whenever we get into the car. Playing with my hair will always make my heart skip a beat. Whenever you come home from work and are exhausted, just know you will be spoiled with home cooking, and afterwards we’ll binge-watch "Grey’s Anatomy" as I give you a foot rub. This journey is one we both agreed on the moment we said “I do,” and I promise to always strive to strengthen our bond, as long as you do too.

9. My heart has been through a lot

Just know that my heart has been through quite a lot over the years, and it might take me some time to completely open my heart up to you. My guard has always been up over the years, and there have been a very select few that have been able to bring my walls down. However, I have been through numerous heartaches, I have cried my eyes out on the bathroom floor, and I have put up my walls stronger than ever — but now here you are. Don’t let my past discourage you for fighting for my heart. Just because numerous guys in the past have caused me to ache, just know that all that pain led to you. If we have come to the point of matrimony, just know that you will be the final man I open up my heart to, and I know you will guard it with your life.

10. I will love you unconditionally

No matter what trials we face as man and wife, just realize that I will love you unconditionally. You may come home one day extremely irritated from a bad day at work, but I will still feed you home-cooked food. You can give me one-word responses when I ask you about your day, but I will still give you a back rub, because I know it calms you down. When you need your own space, I will respect your wishes. Just know that we are in this for the long run. Once we become man and wife, we will take on this crazy world together and I will love you more and more each day.

You are one level-headed and driven man to want to marry me, but just know that we will take on this journey together. I love you with all of my heart, and I am constantly praying for yours. It is not going to be an easy ride, but marriage is a promise. I promise to stay faithful and true to my vows. I promise to be the woman you have always dreamt of marrying, and much more. I promise to never stop striving to grow in our marriage. We are in this together, and I cannot wait to take on the rest of forever with you.

Love,

Arielle