The Merit From Being A Liberal Arts Or Humanities Major

We may not make the world go 'round, but not even science majors can do that.

53

As a senior who is about to graduate, I've been on the lookout for a job since the July of 2015. And as most students know, whether you've already graduated or are about to, jobs are not easy to come by. Like at all.

Companies are expecting you to already have your shit together, which is pretty much impossible. Even looking up low-level paying jobs, they expect you to have two to five years experience, skills that don't include being able to pour yourself a bowl of cereal or pull yourself out of bed in the morning, a black belt, the ability to read minds, and at least one Olympic gold medal.

To be perfectly frank, it's bullshit. How are we supposed to get experience if no one will take a chance on us? It's one of, if not the most, frustrating things college students have to deal with before or after they graduate, unless you're a genius or pick a field like engineering or medicine. Don't get me wrong, those majors and careers are important, but so are the arts!

For all of my liberal arts or humanities majors out there, keep your head up! The world can't completely be made up of science people! Whether the science-smart people realize it or not, they need people like us. We can analyze texts and documents a hell of a lot better than they can, except manuals...no one has time for that. And it has been shown that people who have more reading built into their curriculum not only read more efficiently, but they can comprehend and analyze what they've just read a lot better than students who just do math problems all day long. Plus, humanities and liberal arts majors can usually write at the speed of light (see what I did there?). Who do you think writes President Obama's speeches or the books that take your mind off of your monotonous lifestyle?

But in the search of jobs, not even careers--jobs, it gets increasingly difficult to find something worth our time. Why is it so much harder for us creative people to find a place in the real world? Probably because our society has this irrational thought process to push science fields of study, instead of the arts, which is making the job pool dry up like the Sahara Desert.

I even attended The University of Akron's career fair this past week and the only thing I left with was developing depression. I came with the hope that there would be something out there for me, but the only companies I talked to gave me this look when I told them what my major was:

The only oppotunities they offered me were internships for sales and retail...f**k no. I did not spend four years in college to sell Coca-Cola to other retailers or clothes to people who already hate me just for working there. No thank you. Akron, from a loyal student, if you're going to advertise for an ALL-CAMPUS career fair, then make it ALL-CAMPUS. After leaving, I had never felt so discouraged about the major I had chosen.

But you know what humanities and liberal arts majors? We'll prevail. We will. I don't care what anyone says, there is merit in the majors we have chosen! Why would they offer them if they didn't contribute to society at all? If you're ever feeling down, remember this: (And for all of the science majors out there, this quote's from a book...)

Keep your head up and don't be dismayed from the path you have chosen. I'm a proud English major! I know that there is nothing else that I would rather spend my days doing. I picked a major that I loved; not because of the money. We're going to be happier in the end because we picked our majors based on our passions, not because of the dollar amount we'd get in the end.

Besides, I have a feeling that one day, those science people will be needing our help and we'll respond with: