29 Places In North Carolina Everyone Must Visit

121
http://www.usa4kids.com

We get the best of both worlds in North Carolina: the beach, the mountains, and everything in between! North Carolina holds many treasures. Since we live in such a beautiful state, we should take the time to explore the wonderful state that we call home. Here are some of my favorite sports in North Carolina that everyone should visit!

1. Cape Lookout National Seashore

This is one of my favorite places to go. Cape Lookout Lighthouse is located on the Southern Outer Banks and is one of the few lighthouses that is still used during the day. The lighthouse is known for its distinct black and white diamond shaped pattern.This location is a must for everyone.

2. Carowinds

A place to create lots of memories with your family and friends! I have spent many summers myself at Carowinds. Located in Charlotte and in parts of South Carolina, Carowinds is the home of The Intimidator and the newly built Fury325.

3. The Safe Haven Museum in Southport

Another one of my favorite places in North Carolina. If you are a fan of Nicholas Sparks books and movies, then this is the place for you! The museum is located in Southport (which is seriously the cutest little town itself). The museum holds props from the movie including the bike, the cherry pie recipe, the clothes they wore, and the letters. There are even pictures of the cast in Southport! While you're in Southport walk around some and you may even find yourself at Ivan's Fish Shack which is where Katie worked!

4. Blue Ridge Parkway

The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful any time of the year, but it's always best to go in the fall when all of the leaves are beginning to change. There is something magical about being there and just looking around and being surrounded by oranges and yellows everywhere.

5. The USS North Carolina Battleship

Located in Wilmington as well, The USS North Carolina Battleship is an interesting place to go! For history buffs, it's interesting to learn about the battleship itself, but it's a different feeling of being in such a small space and actually standing where men once stood to fight a war. Also, check out some of the ghost stories about the battleship, they are interesting reads!

6. The North Carolina Zoo

Located in Asheboro, the zoo is always fun for everyone! The North Carolina Zoo has all sorts of animals from elephants to penguins, there is an animal for everyone! Also, while you're there make sure you check out the giraffe deck!

7. Pilot Mountain

Pilot Mountain is one of North Carolinas most distinguishing features. Pilot Mountain is a great place for hiking the trails, and the view from the mountain is incredible!

8. SciWorks in Winston-Salem

After going here many times myself, SciWorks is a lot of fun! The museum itself is geared towards families with children meaning most of the actives there are for the children. SciWorks also has animals on the premises.

9. The Biltmore Estate

The Biltmore House is absolutely breathtaking. Located in Asheville, the Biltmore Estate is a must for everyone! When visiting the house, one can feel like they are living high in class for the day!

10. Charlotte Motor Speedway

Charlotte Motor Speedway is a must for any NASCAR fan!

11. Tweetsie Railroad

Located in the Appalachian Mountains, Tweetsie Railroad is a Wild West theme park.The park offers a ride aboard a real steam locomotive. The park also offers other amusement rides and is geared towards families with children.

12. "Mile-High Swinging Bridge"

Located on Grandfather mountain, the 'mile-high swinging bridge' is a great place to visit if you don't have a fear of heights. While on the bridge, if it is a clear day, it is possible that one can see the Charlotte skyline. It is said that you can see over 100 miles from the bridge.

13. Hanging Rock State Park

Hanging Rock state park has more than 20 miles of hiking trails, camping grounds, places for panic grounds and a lake. Hanging Rock has beautiful scenery and is great for everyone! Hanging Rock State Park is located in Stokes County.

14. Fort Macon

This is another place great for anyone, especially the history buffs! Located on Bogue Banks near Atlantic Beach, Fort Macon is full of history. Fort Macon was used to fight during the Civil War and they have decorated the rooms in the fort to resemble times during the War.

15. Cape Hatteras

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is absolutely breathtaking, but the view from the top is even more breathtaking. The climb to the top is pretty challenging, though, so while the climbing part may not be for everyone, just going to visit the lighthouse is enough!

16. Maritime Museum in Beaufort

Located in the town of Beaufort, the Maritime Museum is such a fun and interesting place to visit. Over the years, parts of Blackbeard's ship have been discovered and some of these artifacts are located in this museum.

17. Bank of America Stadium

Located in Charlotte, Bank of America Stadium is the Home of the Carolina Panthers. Now, I have to be honest and say I am not a Panthers fan, I have been to a few Panthers games and just being in an NFL stadium and watching a game is an experience you don't want to miss out on.

18. Old Salem

Old Salem is in the historic parts of Winston-Salem. In Old Salem, there is a living history museum and tells the stories and lifestyle of the Moravian religion. While at Old Salem, make sure to try out their Moravian sugar cookies.

19. Andy Griffith Museum

Andy Griffith's hometown was in Mount Airy, which is where the Museum is now located. The museum contains the largest collection of Andy Griffith Memorabilia.

20. Cherokee

Cherokee is full of Native American history. While Cherokee does have casinos, there is much more to do while in Cherokee.

21. Wright Brothers National Memorial

The Memorial is located in Kill Devil Hills and is there to memorialize the first successful flight.

22. Wet 'n Wild Emerald Pointe

Wet N Wild is located in Greensboro and is fun for children and adults. Wet 'n Wild has 36 water slides and a large Wave Pool. This is a place to visit during the summer and offers so much fun for families.

23. Shackleford Banks

Shackleford Banks is the perfect place to go out and see the Wild Horses. The Banks are near Cape Lookout lighthouse and on the boat ride over to the banks, if you're lucky, you can see the Wild Horses.

24. Manteo

Manteo is famous for the Lost Colony. To me, the Lost Colony has always been so interesting and mysterious. While in Manteo, take the time to watch the play about the Lost Colony.

25. Ocracoke Lighthouse

Ocracoke Lighthouse was said to be one of Blackbeard's favorite places to hang out. The lighthouse itself is all white and the area sounding the lighthouse is amazing.

26. Historic Downtown Wilmington

Downtown Wilmington is a beautiful place! Downtown has places for everyone, from shopping to dining. While in downtown check out Kilwin's Ice Cream! It's some of the best in town and is good even in the middle of winter!

27. North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores

Located in Pine Knolls, the North Carolina Aquarium is the home of all kinds of animals such as river otters, sharks, rare sea turtles, sting rays. The aquarium provides a lot of fun for families from little kids to the adults.

28. Screen Gems Studios

Located in Wilmington, Screen Gems Studios has been the home for more than 400 movies, TV shows, and other commercial projects. Screen Gems has been the home for movies and shows like "Iron Man 3," "We're The Millers," "The Conjuring" and "One Tree Hill." Screen Gems has helped contribute to giving Wilmington the nickname "Wilmywood" and is overall just a cool place for anyone interested television.

29. The Hidden Mailbox on the beach

This location is all about the adventure of finding it and then enjoying the time at the mailbox. There are hidden little mailboxes on the ends of the beaches, but the one that I've had the adventure of finding is located on the end of Wrightsville Beach. Head to the last access and start walking towards the end of the beach. Keep your eyes open, but make memories on the journey of finding it. Once you reach the box, you will find paper and pens and pencils inside to leave a note for others to read.