Food Can Relieve Stress?

Food Can Relieve Stress?

81
Food Can Relieve Stress?
Diets in Review

Doctor Mercola states that nearly 40 percent of Americans report that they overeat as a result of stress. While nearly half of Americans use overeating, specifically overeating unhealthy foods, as a stress-relief tactic, the combination of stress and having an unhealthy diet can lead to a nasty downward spiral in overall mental and physical health. Furthermore, eating foods that are high in unhealthy fats and sugar can negatively impact your health in ways such as getting a larger waistline (oh no!), increased abdominal fat (what?), more oxidative damage, and more insulin resistance. Junk food only gives you a moment of reprieve, as it can actually directly cause irritability and mood swings, ultimately making your stress worse. Did you know that certain foods can relieve stress if included in your regular diet? Yeah! These are the foods that you can stress eat and feel no guilt!

1. Avocado

Avocados provide close to 20 essential health-boosting nutrients, including potassium, vitamin E, B vitamins, and folate. Not only that, but avocados are known to satiate you, which will prevent snacking later. Who doesn't love a good bagel? Help your body and make an avocado sandwich with cream cheese and avocado slices on top. Not only will your body and brain thank you, but your mouth will too.

2. Blueberries

This small sweet-and-sour treat contains anthocyanins, which aid your brain in the production of dopamine, a chemical that is critical to coordination, memory function, and your mood. Plus, yum! Blueberries are delicious in muffins, in smoothies, in oatmeal, and even plain! I've even included a link of 56 healthy ways to incorporate blueberries into foods you love. What could be better?

3. Pistachios

This little green nut may look a little odd, but as soon as you taste one, you'll be dying for more! Studies show that eating just two servings of pistachios a day lowers vascular constriction during stress, which means the load on your heart is reduced. Not to mention, these crunchy nuts will block out the noises of the world when you're chewing them, which can be therapeutic.

4. Asparagus

Asparagus stalks are high in folic acid, which is one of the B vitamins and is essential in staying calm. These green sticks could potentially lower your stress level and make your urine smell funny. Bonus.

5. Turkey Breast

Turkey, besides being delicious, is a good source of tryptophan. Research shows that argumentative people that consume tryptophan become significantly more pleasant after eating it, and not just because the food is good.

6. Cashews

Not only is this a great snack for stopping a craving, but cashews contain high levels of zinc. Having low levels of zinc have been linked to both anxiety and depression. Watch out with this one, though: Despite the many health benefits of these nuts, cashews are very high in calories and fats that can add up quickly if you're not careful!

7. Chamomile Tea

While this isn't exactly a food, who says it won't suppress your appetite? Chamomile tea is both delicious and soothing. Not only that, but it promotes sleep and calms both the body and mind. Pro tip: It's also very soothing to sit in bed with a nice book and a warm cup of chamomile tea to put your mind at ease after a long day.

8. Garlic

Not just useful for wearing off vampires, garlic is full of antioxidants that neutralize free radicals. Free radicals are particles that damage our cells, cause diseases, and encourage aging. Garlic also contains allicin, which has been linked to fending off heart disease, cancer, and even the common cold. Stress is known to weaken the immune system, and garlic is a great way to toughen it back up! However, try to keep in mind that garlic has a very powerful flavor. Remember that too much can ruin almost any dish, but adding just enough to your meals will benefit you in the long run.

9. Dark Chocolate

Say what?! You can solve your sweet tooth and reduce stress? In fact, dark chocolate contains anandamide, which is a neurotransmitter produced in the brain that temporarily blocks feelings of pain and depression. So when you sink your teeth into this tasty treat, you're doing yourself a favor. Be aware, though: Too much sugar can bring on mood swings and can completely reverse the good you're trying to do.

10. Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a complex carbohydrate that causes your brain to produce serotonin, a feel-good chemical. Serotonin not only creates a soothing feeling that helps overcome stress, but it has antioxidant properties as well. So dress up this yummy breakfast food any way you want! People add peanut butter, brown sugar, little apple cubes, literally anything. This sweet treat will make you feel great and will taste great.

11. Oranges

These fruits are a vitamin C powerhouse, which is known to help relieve stress. They're also portable and easy to eat on the go. So if you're running around at work or school, keep an orange in your purse for some instant satisfaction and stress relief.

Now that you have 11 healthy, affordable options, it's time to rethink your comfort food and start to enjoy snacks that are good for your body and your mind.