The Community That Is: Griz Nation

The Community That Is: Griz Nation

Enjoy your time here, soak up the spirit of the Griz, and always remember that WE ARE MONTANA!

31
The Community That Is: Griz Nation
Nicole Stroot

The University of Montana has been known to call itself a "city within a city.” The campus contains its own restaurants, medical facilities, banking, postal services, police department, and UM even has its own ZIP code. The University has also become accustomed to referring to its vast community as Griz Nation.

Griz Nation doesn’t just stop at the state’s boarders; this community-like notion of being a Griz fan follows people wherever they go! So be prepared, once you’ve entered into this magical world…it may be tough to escape! You will in fact “bleed maroon” and find yourself saying “FTC” at least once or twice in your lifetime. You’ll understand the beauty of getting up way too early on a Saturday to find parking before game day, and how everyone with a grille and a cooler will immediately become your best friend as you yell “Go Griz” on your way past their truck.

The sense of community that comes with being a part of the University of Montana is one of the biggest reasons people choose to come here. When I host a recruit as a student athlete, I can tell them endless reasons why the classes and staff are wonderful, or about the Food Zoo, the UC, and the gorgeous campus they will get to experience every day; but, the main point I am sure to tell them about it the amazing experience of just being a Griz.

Whether you are a future student or a current student, you will easily find someone who is excited about you being a Grizzly. They will ask about your major and the classes you are taking, and want you to fill them in on all things Griz. If you happen to be a student-athlete here, be prepared to be bombarded with Griz Nation love. Little kids look up to the athletes and idolize their every achievement. Fans start young and end old, and supporters will support you come hell-or-high-water.

Coaches become celebrities in this small town, and the outcome of a season will be greatly discussed at all occasions for the next year. The community of Missoula is very supportive of the University, and that is very apparent in all functions involving UM. Sporting events are filled with fans, fundraisers bring in alumni from all over, and the events brought to Missoula only increase the number of people that get to experience the joys of being a small part of Griz Nation.

Time spent as a Griz doesn’t stop once you graduate, and I’m sure it didn’t start the first day of classes freshman year. Being a Griz runs through the community’s veins, and seeps out in waves of maroon and silver. So I leave you with this: enjoy your time here, soak up the spirit of the Griz, and always remember that WE ARE MONTANA is not just a motto, it’s a lifestyle.