Exciting New Additions Coming to the Downtown Athens Area | The Odyssey Online

Exciting New Additions Coming to the Downtown Athens Area

Even more reasons to be excited for the fall!

165

With a heavy heart I have come to the realization that Summer 2015 is ending. However, lots of exciting work has been being done in Athens while we were all doing our internships, studying abroad, visiting our hometowns, and working. Classes and reality start back on August 17th, and here's some exciting new places that'll be waiting for you when you get back.

Urban Outfitters

With Athens' reputation of being a hip, trendy, and fun place, it's not surprising that Urban Outfitters has decided to open a store right in the middle of the downtown area. Combined with all of the local boutiques, Urban Outfitters will definitely be contributing to the emptying of our wallets.

Construction has been coming along fast with Urban Outfitters and they're planning to open their doors just in time for the start of the fall semester.

Eddie's Calzones

Add this one to your list of late night options after a night out. Despite the name, Eddie's Calzones' offers much more than their 60 different calzones; they also include Ben & Jerry's ice cream, wings, cheese fries, and so much more. Did I mention they deliver till 4am?

Eddie's Calzones opened in June and will be glad to serve you upon your return to Athens.

Athens Ovation 12

Located just a few minutes from downtown on Lexington, the former Carmike Cinemas has reopened its doors. Now operating as a dinner theater, at Athens Ovation 12 you are given a menu upon arrival and can order a nice meal and cocktail to enjoy during your movie. Depending on the time of year they even offer movie themed cocktails based on the movies at the theater.

Athens Ovation 12 rejoined the community on July 1st and they can't wait for you to come enjoy a night there.

Zaxby's

Supposedly moving into the former location of George Dean's on Clayton Street right in the middle of all of the downtown action, this plan was still being reviewed back in May. Although the details have been very hush-hush, we can wait with hopeful hearts because the decision will be finalized soon.

The Rolling Runway

Ever heard of a traveling boutique? Well now you have! UGA graduates Morgan and Kendall were inspired to start their own formal wear boutique when they were both in college working at a tuxedo shop here in Athens. After years of planning and searching, they are finally opening for business, and they'll be operating from a 1963 Airsteam Overlander. Check out their Facebook page to see where they'll be rolling to next.

The Rolling Runway's grand opening was August 2nd at the Sunday City Market, and they will be operating at various locations throughout the year.

Cook Out

Famous for it's quick service and low cost options, Cook Out is a place typically enjoyed by college students. No longer will you have to venture to the West Side of town to get your 1 a.m. study break milkshake, because they are opening a new location on Broad Street just up the road from the downtown area.

Cook Out will be open for business when the students return in August.

On The Rocks & Moonshine

Although these aren't new additions, both of these popular bars have taken a break this summer for remodeling purposes. For those of us that have been here this summer it's been a hard separation, so their official re-openings will definitely be celebrated.

Both places are planning to be back to regular operating hours by the time classes start.

Georgia Heights

Right in the heart of Downtown Athens, Georgia Heights is a new luxury style apartment community. Starting early last summer they began the transformation from a parking lot to a perfectly located living space. A few weeks ago the red crane that had become a recognized part of downtown was taken down, thus signaling that their opening day is upon us. With 21 different floor plans, they specialize in one bedrooms, therefore making it a great place for both undergrad and graduate students.

Georgia Heights' move-in date is set for August 15th.

J. Crew Factory

J.Crew Factory, along with the next few listed retailers, will be located on the bottom floor of Georgia Heights. Located on the Clayton Street side, it will definitely be a hit with both the locals and the college students.

Dress Up Boutique

Dress Up will also be located on the retail level of Georgia Heights. A popular boutique that has been growing across Georgia over the past few years, the founders of Dress Up strive to offer trendy looks at an affordable price. It will be a great addition to the boutique scene of downtown Athens.

Dress Up is hoping to open late September.

D.P. Dough

A pizza joint that specializes in calzones, D.P. Dough is another member of the retail in Georgia Heights. Their motto "Open Crazy Late" applies in that they deliver till the late hours of the night. They also offer cinnamon sticks and wings along with their variety of calzones.

CVS Pharmacy

Taking Downtown Athens to a new level of convenience, CVS Pharmacy will be a great addition to the area. It will be located on the Broad side of the retail level of Georgia Heights, and in addition to the pharmacy will sell basic grocery needs. They are also planning on having a walk-in cooler with drink selections inside of the store.

CVS is planning to open early 2016.

As if being back in Athens wasn't already enough, now you've got these exciting new businesses to make it even better.

See you all in a week! Can't wait for another year in the Classic City.