The Commuters Guide To Driving Highway 17

Here are a few tips to surviving your daily commute

2331
redwoods.info

Highway 17 is known all across the central coast of California as one of the most dangerous highways around. Highway 17 is 26 miles of treacherous winding road that runs from the beautiful Santa Cruz, CA, through the gorgeous redwoods, and into the booming city of San Jose, CA. Commuters and tourists alike use this route daily to travel for work and play. Thousands of people travel over Highway 17 everyday. The combination between the numerous travelers, the snaky roads, and the changing weather patterns, leads to unpredictable travel conditions.

Highway 17 is known for the numerous amounts of fatal and injury car accidents that happen daily because of these conditions. The Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission created a graph to show the number of accidents that occurred from 1996 to 2013:

Many organizations have been created to make sure that commuters and travelers stay safe on Highway 17, and many projects have been put into place to make sure that the roads stay safe. The Traffic Operations System Committee and the Safe On 17 Task Force meet together twice a year to discuss traffic patterns and other traffic concerns in order to help create better and safer travel conditions. While committees are put in place to oversee the highway, there are a few things that each of us can do in order to stay safe commuting over Highway 17.

1. Before you travel, check traffic conditions.

There are numerous ways that you can do this. Highway 17 has it's own Twitter page. You can follow @TrafficOn17 on Twitter to stay updated on the latest accidents and traffic concerns before you leave the house. Make sure to allow extra time when traveling over Highway 17, just in case there are accidents that occur. Google Maps and navigation usually stays updated on the latest traffic conditions as well and is a great source to use to check and see if there are any accidents on your route.

2. Before you travel, check weather conditions.

Rain and fog, plus winding roads, leads to a dangerous commute. It's a good idea to check weather conditions before hopping onto Highway 17. The roads grow slippery very quickly after it rains, and the fog has a tendency to pack in thick near the summit in the Santa Cruz mountains. Pay attention to the billboards. Highway 17 makes sure to let drivers know when the roads are exceptionally slippery by broadcasting it on their billboards and signs. Most smartphones have a weather app that allows you to check the weather before your commute as well. You can also tune into your local radio station or news channel to check the weather as well.

3. Take it slow and be aware of other drivers.

There is a slow lane for a reason. Don't be afraid to use it. The curves in the road can sneak up on a driver quickly. Drivers are also sharing the road with big rigs and semis that have difficulty making those sharp turns. If you leave earlier, you not only have extra time in your commute in case there are accidents, but it also means you can take your commute slower. Taking your time and noticing the movements of the cars around you can help improve your commute. This is also a good time to mention the importance of paying attention to the road. This means no texting while driving.

4. Make sure your car is in good condition.

There are so many dips, curves, and hills on Highway 17. Making sure your car is in good condition should be one of the first steps before traveling anywhere, especially over Highway 17. Making sure your mirrors are in place, your breaks are sturdy, and your tires have enough air are good places to start, especially with the constant merging, breaking and accelerating.

With the new year in view, these are just a few things that you can do to stay safe while commuting over Highway 17.