The UCSD Beach Guide

The UCSD Beach Guide

5845
The UCSD Beach Guide
Anthony Verlingo

Aside from being ranked the 20th best university in the world, the University of California, San Diego has more to offer to its students than just a top-notch education. 

UCSD is situated on the bluffs of La Jolla near a rugged coastline setting the scene for breathtaking panoramic views. We are home to “The World’s Smartest Surfers,” named by Wall Street Journal, with optimal year round surfing conditions. Generally speaking, San Diego is the southernmost point of California, meaning it is closest to the equator, allowing for a warm summer with ocean water reaching up to 69 degrees Fahrenheit during peak months of August and September. This means no wet suit needed! In San Diego, we have perfect conditions to surf, swim, snorkel, sunbathe or even sightsee.  But where is the best place for UCSD students to take advantage of these exceptional conditions?

La Jolla Shores 

A short SIO bus ride from UCSD campus, allowing for a majority of the students to flock this area whenever they can find a break in their busy schedules. The upside of visiting La Jolla shores is the ease of being able to access the beach, without much effort. Less than a five-minute drive from campus this is the best option for someone who wants to get a quick fix at the beach. The gentle surf here is good for beginners.  The downside is the crowds this beach can attract. During peak months many families come here so if you are trying to relax away from the crowds this might not be the best option. Beware if you drive yourself, finding parking can take some time.  

Blacks Beach

Another close option for UCSD students to enjoy the beach. Situated at the base of the costal cliffs of Torrey Pines Reserve, this beach offers a more private experience because accessing Blacks can prove to be difficult.  To get here there are several methods of travel:

You can access by walking north along the coast from La Jolla Shores. This route is a lengthy but flat trek, which can prove to be difficult when high tide comes in. I don’t recommend this option. 

A second access point is through Salk Canyon Road. It is a short walk down a steep paved road until you reach the coast. It is simple to find parking and the walk doesn’t take much time. 

Another option is via the Ho Chi Minh trail, taking you through the coastal canyons eventually leading down to the coast. This option is an intermediate hiking trail because as you near the bottom of the path there is a portion where you need to use the help of a rope to hike down the trail. It is rewarding once you reach the beach.  

A fourth and probably the most common entry point is through Gliderport, which is a short walk from the northwest side of campus near the Village and ERC. This path leads you down a staggered flight of stairs built into the side of the cliffs.  

The southern portion of Blacks is home to some of the most powerful surf in California, where an underwater canyon funnels powerful break. If you are interested in learning about why Blacks breaks the way it does, I recommend taking a simple 1 unit UCSD freshman seminar course “The Physics of Surfing.” 

The northernmost part of Blacks Beach is the largest clothing optional beach the United States has to offer. Don’t come with the expectation of European beaches, or you will be disappointed.

Every full moon the hippies from all around the area meet up on the shores of Blacks Beach for the Full Moon Drum Circle, which ends up turning into a belligerent debauchery. It is definitely worth checking out.

Torrey Pines State Beach

Torrey Pines State Beach is about a 10-minute drive north from campus. You have to pay to park and this beach attracts a lot of local families. I would only recommend coming to this beach to see the views or to hike through Torrey Pines State Reserve. It’s not really the best place to relax for a day by the beach. You can also access the north end of Blacks beach by walking south along the coast of Torrey Pines.  

La Jolla Cove

La Jolla Cove is another option, but requires a car to get there from campus. The cove is good to sightsee, snorkel, paddleboard and kayak. But it is a large tourist area. A famous feature the cove has to offer is access to the Sunny Jim Cave through the Cave Store for five dollars. If you are trying to see marine life I recommend coming to this area. There are seals on the rocks, leopard sharks, manta rays, and various marine animals that dominate this cove. It is close to downtown La Jolla so parking can be difficult to find unless you are willing to pay.  

Windansea Beach

A great option to relax, enjoy the beach, and watch the amazing surf. Here many locals will come to soak in the rays. Surf here can be really good, but you have to fight through crowds to get a wave, and locals can be territorial. The water at Windansea was recently rated number 2 for the cleanest ocean water in San Diego. Parking is simple and the beach is usually not too crowded.  

Marine Street Beach

My favorite place to come with a group of friends. It is about a 15-minute drive from campus, located just north of Windansea. There is no lifeguard on duty and it is rarely patrolled, which attracts a lot of younger locals. Every time I have been to this beach there are a lot of college kids enjoying the SoCal lifestyle. If you are looking to have a fun day on the beach this is your spot. And if you are into body surfing shore break this could become your go to. The only rules here are to clean up after yourself and respect the locals who live in the area. Parking is a short walk away from the beach, but it is worth it.   

Pacific Beach and Mission Beach

These beaches are where a majority of UCSD, USD and SDSU students reside. It is close to the bars and offers a vast strip of excitement. These beaches offer decent surf for locals but they can get pretty crowded in the summer months. It is always a good option to check it out if you are interested in bar hopping on the beach.  

Sunset Cliffs just south of Ocean Beach

Sunset Cliffs is a good place for thrill seekers, and is very secluded. It is about a 25-minute drive from UCSD campus. The area around sunset cliffs is liberal and there seems to be a good amount of transients in the area. This spot offers cliff jumping into the ocean, and one-of-a-kind panorama views. Parking can be difficult to find on busy days but shouldn't be too much of a problem.  

I am giving up some of the local spots to the UCSD community in hopes to see you all enjoy your summer vacation, and your short class breaks. Keep in mind that these beaches stay clean by those who visit, so please clean up after yourself. I hope you enjoy exploring San Diego beaches and that you get the most out of your UCSD experience!