The Ugly Truth In Recruitment Week

The Ugly Truth In Recruitment Week

Not Everything In Life Is Fair

502
The Ugly Truth In Recruitment Week

Being in a sorority has taught me many things. I've learned how to have a great social life and academic life. I've also learned a few invaluable truths.

Recruitment prepares you for the bitter and unforgiving reality life will occasionally throw at you.

Over 1,400 girls walked into the loudest house on the row the first day of recruitment week. My sorority welcomed every potential new member into our home, and in return these girls gave an expected, nervous, yet candid, smile. The very first girl I picked up was wearing a well-thought-out floral skirt. Her blonde spunky curls were freshly done, and her makeup was naturally aesthetic without too much being caked on. 

The deafening and reputable chant, “Hoorah for Kappa,” was absorbing the overly excited introduction I had confidently rehashed moments before the door opened. After the potential new member and I exchanged names, she complimented my chapter's house and joked about her obsession with our borderline terrifying chant. 

She almost immediately opened up, admitting to the awkward, weird process we were all stuck in. “Wow! You live in the house? I like my friends, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t know if I could share a room with three of them. You’re the real MVP, so I give you kudos.” 

I already liked this girl. She had energy, humor, composure, and she steered clear of sounding anxious. She expressed wit and light sarcasm when needed and never once presented any sign of distress or unease. I laughed and listed out the good and bad of living there. I wasn't sure if what I was revealing was "the right thing to say" but I was being honest. 

I realized at this point how senseless the whole process was. I had to be careful about being honest with a girl who could potentially turn into one of my best friends, or “sisters”. For twenty minutes or so I felt real, forgetful of her being a complete stranger. 

In that time being, I overlooked my supposed responsibility to convince her she would enjoy all that my chapter had to offer, and without haste, I filled her in by explaining my perception on the roller coaster of an adventure she was in the process of. I thank God her eyes immediately lit up when I disagreed with all of it. The four day judgment period, the one-on-one forced conversations, the painful decision to keep or cut a girl that could come down to a girl having an off day. 

It happens too often during rush; girls let their self-esteem crumble after reading their schedule for the next day, and not seeing their favorite house on the list, meaning that a house had scratched her name. Disagree with me if you must, but satisfaction guaranteed is not promised at every house on the row. I personally know a few members of other sororities who remain unhappy after pledging a chapter simply because it's easier and less dramatic than to drop recruitment.

This particular girl got a bid from my chapter and without a doubt in my mind, she was going to fit in. However, after recruitment I met a girl in my history class who was cut from my sorority because she was "aloof" or " awkward" during her conversations . 

I quickly caught on to her sense of humor and more importantly how sensible and comforting she became when I vented to her about my miserable Monday morning.  I was genuinely disappointed that she didn't click with the member of my chapter she talked to during rush.  

Every sorority is made up of girls with different opinions, principles, ethics, interests etc. This potential new member was doomed by being paired with a girl who held contrasting morals and interests. I felt conflicted leaving class that day. All I could think about was recruitment week and how possibly detrimental it is to a girl's self-esteem.

So, it's safe to say that recruitment process may tear girls down.  However, don't let this discourage you from venturing into this process; I advocate the journey. You need to experience the uncomfortable and disheartening manifestation that life will not always be easy, nor will it be fair. Recruitment prepares you to experience the ugly side of life, and your parents aren't there to hold your hand when this happens. 

You will be judged, analyzed, critiqued, manipulated, and rejected, and simply put, there is not one thing you can do to change that. Why? Because, we are human and it's our natural tendency to evaluate each other. There will come a time when the  job interview you lost sleep over, nervously awaiting the phone call of acceptance, becomes the future of someone else. The nicest way to put it is that you just didn’t make the cut. But hey, you win some, you lose some, so start the preparation now and save yourself the shocking, predictable truth in the years to come. 

I’m happy that I learned the correlation between life not being fair, and recruitment sometimes being inevitably crude. On more occasions than one, it allowed me to accept rejection from something completely out of my control. It allowed me to embrace unfortunate and unfavorable situations, constantly reminding myself that not everything will be a walk in the park. 

You will end up where you are destined to be, you will enjoy the highs of life, and you will feel discouraged when you’re knocked down. You will discover that it is easier to grin at that which you cannot change, because a frown will never have the ability to alter the rules of fair play. Whether you are going through recruitment or interviewing for a job, let yourself be critiqued and analyzed, publicize your confidence and always stay true to who you are. The sooner you learn this, the better off you will be. That's satisfaction guaranteed.