How to Improve a Typical Sorority Outfit, and Why You Should

35

Okay ladies, picture this: you wake up for class with about 15 minutes to get ready. By the time you’ve mentally prepared yourself to leave the warm and comforting embrace of your glorious bed and done the essentials like brushing your teeth and washing your face, you have less than 10 minutes left. Surely that’s not enough time to look cute and put together before class, so you just settle for an oversized Comfort Colors T-shirt, norts (Nike shorts) or leggings, and running shoes right? WRONG! I know we all cherish our go-to typical sorority outfit, so I’m not telling you to forgo it completely. Instead, I’m going to give you a few tips on how to make those staple clothing items go from from drab to fab:

So you want to wear a t-shirt: sorority shirt, fraternity shirt, philanthropy shirt, TCU shirt, “here’s a free shirt” shirt. Your closet is probably filled with all of them.

1.) Start with the long sleeved srat shirt that you want to wear, then put on jeans and a cute pair of shoes like combat or riding boots. Finish the look with a scarf, which is an easy way enhance an outfit.

2.) Oh how we love our big t-shirts in the South. Start by tucking it into a cute pair of shorts and adding a belt, then put on ballet flats or sandals. Finish the look with a necklace or big earrings.

3.) Pair your shirt with jean or white capri pants, then put on cute flats and accessorize with a watch, stud earrings, and a tiny necklace.

So you want to wear leggings: Okay, so maybe yoga pants are like a push up bra for your butt, but there’s nothing Namaste about looking like you just rolled out of bed.

1.) Put on boots and a shirt of your choice, then add a sweater and rings.

2.) Instead of black leggings, wear black jeggings. The pockets and zipper on them will fool people into thinking that you’re wearing real pants.

3.) Put on combat boots and a pair of knee length socks. Scrunch the socks down so that they sit right above your boots. Then wear a flowy top and a jean jacket or vest.

So you want to wear a hat: I get it, today just isn’t your day. Be it bad hair, a hangover, or a pimple you think everyone will notice, don’t reach for that hat just yet.

1.) Two words: sock bun. Master it and you will instantly look polished and put together.

2.) Put on cute earrings. People will notice your nice jewelry instead of whatever else you’re trying to hide.

3.) Pull your hair up into a high ponytail and add a jeweled headband. Like tip one and two, the headband distracts and makes a basic ponytail look cute.

4.) Don’t want to wear makeup? At least put on some lip balm and mascara. Mascara is a great way to make your eyes look brighter and awake, plus it should take you less than 30 seconds.

So you want to wear running shoes: Let’s be honest, you’re probably not going to be running to class, so why are you wearing running shoes?

1.) There are a lot of other shoes that are comfortable but cuter than running shoes. Invest in a pair of nice sandals, cute but comfortable flats, or even Vans. It’s amazing how shoes can change an outfit.

I’m not saying you should dress up everyday. I sure don’t. However, I do think it’s important to put your best foot forward. You never know what opportunities will arise on any given day, so it’s good to be prepared by looking nice in case they do. Think of an opportunity as a pop quiz. You don’t always know when it’s coming, but if you’re prepared you’ll score higher than if you hadn’t. The same goes for looking presentable, not to mention when you look good you feel good. Think of the confidence you felt at prom after spending hours on your hair and makeup. Obviously you won’t be wearing a gown to class, nor should you spend hours on your hair and makeup on any normal day, but that confidence you get when you know you look great can do wonders. When you don’t put any care or consideration into your appearance, you’re not operating at your full potential.

Try something for me: start with one or two days a week where you pick out a cute outfit the night before to wear the next day. When you wake up, put on the outfit and spend about 5 more minutes on your hair and makeup. Then go about your day as usual. Whether you notice at first or not, the slight confidence boost you get from knowing you look better will increase your self-esteem and brighten your day. What you choose to wear is a reflection of who you are, so make sure your clothes are making the statement you want them to. If it’s “I’m tired and didn’t want to put effort into looking nice today” so be it, we all have those days, but I think “I’m happy, awake, and ready to make this day mine” is much better.