11 Things People Who Love Halloween Know To Be True

For all of the citizens of Halloween Town.

333
Shannon Miles

Halloween is a magical, spooky holiday full of candy and mystery. The majority of kids love Halloween for being able to dress up and get tons of candy. There were definitely a few years when I didn’t trick-or-treat and wasn’t sure how to celebrate the holiday. But I always love it and am beyond excited for it each year. Anyone who is moderately — or very — obsessed with Halloween knows a few things to be true.

1. Oct. 1 means the beginning of Halloween season.

Some people may say “Halloween season” is not a thing, but anyone who truly loves Halloween knows that the entire month of October is a time to celebrate this wonderful holiday.

2. Many people start listening to Christmas music around Thanksgiving (or earlier), and you start listening to Halloween music on October 1 (or earlier).

A lot of people also say that there isn’t really much, or any, Halloween music. Then what exactly is “Monster Mash," “This Is Halloween,” and “The Time Warp”?!

3. Your favorite Halloween movies are sacred to you.

Each movie is so dear to you and so definitive of the season. These movies always put you into the Halloween spirit. And if someone doesn’t know them or dislikes them, you will make that person watch and love them.

4. You are ecstatic at seeing the storefronts of the seasonal Halloween stores.

Upon seeing the signs announcing the opening of Spirit Halloween, before the store has even been set up or opened, you are so excited that you just want to stand in the space where all of the awesome Halloween things will be.

5. You browse the Halloween section at Target carefully.

Target is an incredible place at any time of year. But during Halloween-time, there’s no telling what treasures — whether costume-related, decoration-related, or candy-related — will be there to be discovered.

6. You spend all year planning possible Halloween costumes.

You will be brainstorming for your next Halloween costume on Halloween. There are just so many people and things to draw inspiration from.

7. Everything is a potential costume.

You can be a cute cat, a terrifying zombie, a garbage bag, and more.

8. You like to change it up every Halloween.

You won’t do that thing where you find a costume and stick with it for several years. You want to have a variety of very different styles of costumes, unlike Ted from "How I Met Your Mother."

9. You love all of the pet costumes and pictures of pets in costume that come out in October.

There are so many wonderful pet costumes, from pets dressed as Princess Leia to those wearing a tiny cowboy on their back.

10. Some of your favorite viral videos are Halloween themed.

Every Halloween season, preferably on Oct. 1 (and again and again throughout the month) you view that video of the person in the full black body suit with a pumpkin mask dancing to “Ghostbusters” on the news.

11. You love when the air and atmosphere give that sense of Halloween.

There are some nights when you can just smell and feel Halloween in the air around you, and it is one of the best, most magical things.