The Girl Power Playlist

The Girl Power Playlist

99
The Girl Power Playlist
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a6/2a/87/a62a87bb9c5115c9bf62d9f7232bc02a.jpg

I was so excited when my Editor-In-Chief asked me to write an article with a list of songs that promote Girl Power! In a world that, in many cases, creates barriers for women, sometimes we can get discouraged, begin to feel like giving up, and walk away from situations that if given the opportunity, we can fix and even exceed the expectations that others set for us. The world is making steady improvements in the equality gap and the opportunities available, but sometimes we just need a playlist to get through the day.

There are so many songs that encourage us to keep going, make us feel like we can do anything, which we can, and make us want to work harder. Out of the millions of songs, I selected six that I hope help you retain, keep, and grow your sense of girl power. #itsgirlpowertime

1. "Girl On Fire" by Alicia Keys

"Everybody stares, as she goes by

'Cause they can see the flame that's in her eyes

Watch her when she's lighting up the night

Nobody knows that she's a lonely girl

And it's a lonely world

But she gon' let it burn, baby, burn, baby

This girl is on fire..."

Oh, yes. You are on fire whether you believe it or not, girl. Sometimes, we can get insecure, self-concious about every small thing or discouraged because someone else got the job. We can undervalue ourselves because we don’t look a certain way, our GPA is not as high as our peers, and fall into the third wheel category when our friends want us to go out with them and “bae.” Oh, the joy of being a third wheel! But there comes a time when you really have got to remember that you are “that girl.” The girl that stops a crowd when she walks in the room, the girl that everyone remembers, the girl that has the “flame” in her eyes that everyone wishes they could have. You’re the girl who has the whole package, but you’ve got to remember that! Nobody’s perfect, so stop trying to be. Just be you; The girl that’s on fire!

2. "Grown Woman" by Beyoncé

They love the way I walk

'Cause I walk with a vengeance

And they listen to me when I talk

'Cause I ain't pretendin'

It took a while, now I understand

Just where I'm going

I know the world and I know who I am

It's 'bout time I show it

I'm a grown woman

I can do whatever I want

That person on the left said, “Oh I don’t know if you can do that. “ The oh so studious one on the right said, “No, because of you’re height, weight, color, you don’t have what it takes to do accomplish you’re ambitious goal.”

Please move to the side with all of the negativity. I am a grown woman. If I put my mind to it, work hard, and compete with myself, I can do whatever I want! Yes, some things are going to be more challenging than expected. It’s life. But, you’re on fire, you’re a grown woman, and you have girl power! Work hard, be ambitious, there is no limit, and thank God that despite the barriers of the world, you can do WHATEVER. YOU. WANT.

3. "Just Do You" by India Arie

Every mountain needs someone to climb it

Every ocean needs someone to dive in

Every dream needs someone to wish it

Every adventure needs someone to live it

So what 'chu waiting on

Who You waiting for

If You don't take a chance You'll never know what's in store

Just Do You (Somebody's got to be a star)

Just Do You (Somebody's got to raise the bar)

Just Do You (Somebody's got to change the game)

Just Do You (Today)

Everyone is unique. People may have the same talent, but not the same gift. Each singer has his or her unique voice. You can tell who’s singing a song by a voice and sometimes by the lyrics or style of the music. An engineer may have the same skills and talents of a co-worker, but there’s a unique gift that resides in both of them to accomplish different things or to bring their ideas together to accomplish the same thing. So “what ‘chu waiting on?” You get one chance; one time to prove that what you have is worth investing in, voting for, or buying. “If you don’t take a chance, you’ll never know what’s in store.” You’re the grown woman that’s on fire, so just do you and accomplish what you want to accomplish.

4. "Strength, Courage, & Wisdom" by India Arie

Inside my head there lives a dream that I want to see in the sun

Behind my eyes there lives a me that I've been hiding for much too long

'Cause I've been, too afraid to let it show

'Cause I'm scared of the judgment that may follow

Always putting off my living for tomorrow

It's time to step out on faith, I've gotta show my face

It's been elusive for so long, but freedom is mine today

I've gotta step out on faith, It's time to show my face

Procrastination had me down but look what I have found, I found

Strength, courage, and wisdom

And it's been inside of me all along,

Strength, courage, and wisdom

Inside of me

Behind my pride there lives a me, that knows humility

Inside my voice there is a soul, and in my soul there is a voice

But I've been, too afraid to make a choice

'Cause I'm scared of the things that I might be missing

Running too fast to stop and listen

Strength, courage, and wisdom

And it's been inside of me all along,

Strength, courage, and wisdom

Inside of me

Read it. Re-read it. Read it again. Take it in. And then, re-read it again.

5. "Dream Big" by Jasmine Sullivan

When it feel like you been waiting all your life for the second

You'll be a fool to just let it pass so go and get it

No matter near or far, to the moon, the stars

I'll do whatever I need to follow my dream

I gotta dream big (dream big) cause when it happen it's gon' happen real quick (yes I feel it, I gotta)

I gotta move fast cause when it happen I can't let it move past (only get one chance)

Grown woman on fire with so much power, continue to dream big. Don’t let your opportunity pass you by! You’re a woman that’s too fly! Dream big. “You’ll be a fool to just let it pass, so go and get it. No matter near of far, to the moon, the stars,” Do what you have to do to follow your dream. I can’t wait to hear, see, and read about the accomplishments that you have set for your life!

6. "How Much We Can Bear" by Hezekiah Walker

If in your life you are going through

And don't know really what to do

Just call on Jesus he will see you through

For He knows

Jesus He knows

If there's a trial that has come your way

And you are looking for a brighter day

Just call on Jesus He will make a way

For He knows

Jesus He knows

How much we can bear

Jesus He knows how much we can bear

Being a grown woman on fire with an unstoppable mindset won’t be easy. It takes strength, courage, and wisdom. It takes persistence in dreaming big. So whenever you do feel discouraged and feel like you don’t have what it takes, remember you do. God always knows how much you can bear and if you couldn’t do it, he wouldn’t have given it to you.

So be fierce, girl! Do you, stop the room, show your strength, courage and wisdom, dream big, and be that unstoppable grown woman!