Why You Should Fall In Love With A Writer

Writers will make you their story, and you will never have another love like it.

480
Library of Dreams

People who write, if I have learned anything, are vastly different from those who don't. I am one of them. They're easy to pick out once you've seen it. As a writer who has met so many others who share a love for words, love is something writers usually know a lot about. This is why you should fall in love with a writer:

Writers are artists who use words as their medium: their job is to explore how each one sounds, feels, smells and tastes alone, how they do all of these things in combination with one another, how heavy they are, how light they can be, and what different meanings they can evoke. They study them endlessly. They use rhyme and flow and syllables as form-givers, and every writer has his own style, like the personal scents everyone you've ever met seems to have. They know how to tell you exactly how they are feeling because communicating is what they do. Everything they say is carefully planned, so if it's good, it's great; but if it's bad, it's terrible. They know the weight of each and every word they speak, and they know the importance of saying exactly what you mean. They don't beat around the bush. They will never tell you that they are "fine." And if they do, you'll easily know something is wrong. There will never be a shortage of willing words with which they will woo you, because boring words are not in their vocabulary, and plain, shallow compliments are not in their likeness.

Date a writer because writers are readers. Their imaginations are strong. They are well-educated. They are well-spoken. They have visited countless worlds that do not exist, and they have felt every feeling that can be felt. Writers are passionate. Being readers makes them yearn for more out of life, and they love life in a way others don't. They will take you places. They are wondrously empathetic. They have invested themselves into characters that don't exist and will continue to do so for the rest of their lives. They work with feelings, and they will be understanding of yours.

Similarly, writers invest themselves just as much into people who do exist. They will love you like no one else. As picky as they are with their words, they are picky with the people they love. And when they find those people, they invest all of themselves into them. They love deeply or not at all. They will give you every piece of themselves that they have. Love is the best muse, and you will be theirs. You will be the inspiration for them to create. Your name will be on the first page of their books: "For you." They are observant. They will notice every little mannerism you have and they will write about it. They will obsess over your details: the curvature of your lips, the way your fingers wrap around your coffee mug, the exact placement of your hair when you wake up in the morning. Details make the best writings. They will tell you every detail you have ever wanted to know about yourself. They will make you realize where great characters in books come from: they come from people like you. They will make you love yourself.

Writers (usually) know how to be patient. They know that inspiration can strike at any time or no times, and they know that the perfect words are never just going to present themselves effortlessly. And they know that relationships take work, just like poems and prose and stories do. They know what development entails. They know that there is an exposition, a climax, a resolution. They know that conflict exists and they know it can be overcome. They know that the plot is not made up just of these things, though; they know it is the smaller moments that matter just as much. They know that page one and page 223 are just as important because they are both part of the story. Writers know that the "during" is more important than the beginning or the end.