Why You Need To Stop Chasing People And Start Chasing Yourself

It's time we start putting ourselves first.

14505
favim.com

We are a generation obsessed with being with someone. We are all out searching for someone to love us when all we need to do is look in a mirror. Why do we feel the need to run after people who never want to slow down? We get stuck in this "talking phase" where you're together with someone, but not together-together, and you meet their friends and family but no one ever really clarifies what you are and eventually it comes out that one person was more invested than the other, and suddenly it's over and you go back to the drawing board, starting the cycle over again. Why do we keep perpetuating the miscommunication? Instead of playing chase, just be honest and up-front. Instead of making yourself miserable, make yourself happy.

Chasing people who don't chase you back is the equivalent of a dog chasing a car. Is it really worth it once you finally catch up? All that time and energy spent wasted on someone who couldn't care less... Couldn't it have been spent better? Instead of investing in people who don't make you their priority (I'm not saying you have to be #1, but if you fall lower than top five I'd start to question it), why don't you invest in yourself? Study harder for your classes, go out with your friends, teach yourself a new talent/skill, go for a walk, call your grandma...anything will do. Stop wasting time on people who wouldn't waste their time on you. Relationships should be balanced; the attraction should be mutual and equal. Don't lose your standards because you're afraid to be alone. If you have to constantly beg someone to be around you, or talk to you, then there's an issue. Why are you saving a seat for someone who has no intention of sitting down?

I'm the first to admit that I chase people. I'll do anything to make the people I care about happy, even if I know I shouldn't. I'll skip out on sleep, spend too much money, and ignore other people or responsibilities. Afterwards, I'll feel pretty dumb because nine times out of 10 I'm expecting the same amount of sacrifice and I fail to receive it. Lately, I've been trying to step back and look into my relationships in an attempt to analyze what I'm doing. Do I sometimes over-analyze because of this? Uh, yes. More times than not honestly, but I'm still new to this. I'm new to putting myself first, which isn't right. I shouldn't spend more time on other people than I spend on myself. At the end of the day, you have yourself (and your mom, but that's a different article), and if you aren't happy, then what is the point? I'm laughing as I type this because it seems so simple, but at the same time, it isn't. It is so easy to sit here and tell you to put yourself first, but it's the actual act of putting yourself first that is tough.

This is one of the only times in our lives that we are allowed to be selfish. We don't have families to support, or *real* bills to pay, so, again, why are you spending your time on people who aren't going to reciprocate the feeling? Don't waste your time sitting around hoping they will ask you out. Go out with your friends, or go visit your mom and enjoy this time in your life while you can. I hope if you're reading this that it wakes you up a little. Put down your phone because I know that you're waiting for them to text you back, wondering why they aren't talking to you, thinking you've done something wrong (surprise, you didn't) and wondering how you're going to fix it. Newsflash -- you don't have too. Do what makes you happy and you are going to attract the right kinds of people. It isn't going to be easy, but the best things in life are worth the struggle.