Midsummer Bucket List: 25 Things To Do In Jersey Before School Starts

Summer flies by at the blink of an eye. Don't let the months go without hitting some of these incredible spots first.

314

It's easy to get caught up in the days and lose track of time during the summer. Whether you're busy with work, internships, studying abroad, or Netflix binge watching, the days start to blend together pretty quickly. Before you know it, move-in day will creep up on us once again.

Not so fast. There's so much to take advantage of during the summer in New Jersey that too many of us don't even know about. Grab your bae, best friends, sorority sisters or family, and browse through some of our team's top picks, from the Fourth of July to Labor Day.

1. Full Moon Beach Camping.

If you're looking for a unique way to spend a night down the shore with a bunch of friends, look no further. This new event allows anyone to come and set up tents, and is conveniently located in walking distance from the boardwalk. Bring food and enjoy the bonfire! Be sure to register beforehand and secure your spot.

When: Thursday, July 2, Friday, July 31, and Saturday, August 29

Where: Seaside Heights

Cost: Free

2. Drive-In Movie Theatre.

These vintage theaters were taken straight out of every girl's dream date! Buy tickets and enjoy the newest feature films with some friends or that special someone.

When: All Summer

Where: Vineland or Warwick, NY

Cost: $10/person

3. Stone Harbor Annual Arts and Crafts Festival.

If you have an interest in the arts, definitely swing by this event to browse through hundreds of vendors' merchandise. Exquisite displays of handmade jewelry, wall art, bath goods, home decor, gourmet foods, wood carvings, photography, handbags, pottery, and more will be for sale throughout the evening.

When: Saturday, August 1 & Sunday, August 2

Where: Stone Harbor, NJ

Cost: Free

4. Burger Mania Burger Festival.

Calling burger lovers: Dozens of restaurants and food trucks will be cooking up their finest burgers to compete for the title of "Best Burger in Central Jersey." Bring family and friends and enjoy!

"Visitors will enjoy a day filled with live music, vendors, kids activities, beer and wine garden and Burgers Galore! Burgers are judged by our professional panel, plus people’s choice. Attendance is free."

When: Saturday, July 15

Where: Hamilton, NJ

Cost: Free

5. July 4 Oceanfest.

This has to be your destination this July 4, standing as the largest seasonal event down the shore and the largest Fourth of July bash in New Jersey. Enjoy a day at the beach, strolling through aisles of vendors and watching live musical performances. Of course, the fireworks are the best part.

When: Saturday, July 4

Where: Long Branch

Cost: Price of Parking Only

6. The Pool After Dark @ Harrah's Resort.

At this premier nightclub spot in New Jersey, celebrities like Pharrell, Paris Hilton, Brody Jenner, and Fetty Wap are just a few of many who have taken the stage. The Pool After Dark features gambling, bottle service, and more. Get dressed up to dance all night or wear a bikini to take advantage of the lit-up pool, named the Sixth Best Hotel Pool in the Country in front of the DJ booth.

When: All Summer

Where: Atlantic City, NJ

Cost: Varies

7. Dog Beaches.

Do you love dogs? It doesn't matter who you are; the answer is yes. Do you love beaches? Again, yes. Put the two together, bring your pups, and enjoy a day of fun in the sun with other cute pooches! Whether you're near Seaside or Highlands, there's guaranteed to be a puppy park close by.

When: Year-Round

Where: Several locations, see link

Cost: Free

8. Monmouth County Fair.

If you're seeking a classic town fair feel, this is for you. Located right in the center of New Jersey, it's easily accessible to everyone, averaging out at about 80,000 attendees each year. When you're taking breaks from rides, keep an eye out for other unique events like cake decorating, the garden contest, live entertainment, delicious food and live music! Don't forget to kiss your sweetheart on the ferris wheel during the fireworks!

When: Wednesday, July 22 - Sunday, July 26

Where: East Freehold

Cost:$8/person entry fee

9. Jerry Seinfeld Stand-Up Comedy Show.

Come see longtime TV personality Jerry Seinfeld perform some of his finest comedy in one of Jersey's most fun towns.

When: Friday, August 7 & Saturday, August 8

Where: Atlantic City, NJ

Cost: Starting at $95/person

10. Go to a Pick Your Own Farm.

This can be a fun, delicious way to spend a summer day. Bring a loved one and get lost in the countless rows of fresh fruit. Peaches and Strawberries coming into season in mid-July!

When: Year-Round, see link

Where: All of NJ, see link

Cost: Cost of fruit harvested

11. Wildwood Crest Sand Sculpting Festival.

Prepare to be amazed by this outstanding display of sand art! Whether you're an amateur or expert, you're invited to participate or spectate as dozens carve out their masterpieces. Live music will be featured as well. Be sure to register in advance.

When: Saturday, July 11

Where: Wildwood

Cost: Free

12. Rob Thomas and The Plain White T's.

This is the perfect event for a laid-back Monday night. Matchbox Twenty's Rob Thomas will be performing hit singles like "Her Diamonds," "Someday," and "Lonely No More." The Plain White T's, band behind hit single "Hey There Delilah" will be the opening act.

When: Monday, August 10

Where: Morristown, NJ

Cost: Starting at $89

13. Stairway to Heaven Hike.

This iconic trail features a suspension bridge, boardwalks, waterfalls, flower fields, forests, and the steep incline up "Stairway to Heaven" leading to the coveted Pinwheel Vista. Different trails accommodate hikers of all skill levels, so don't be intimidated. There's something for everyone.

When: Year-Round

Where: Vernon, NJ

Cost: Free

14. Highland's Clam Festival.

A day of fun clam festivities meets classic rides and vendors again this year for Highland's 20th Annual Clam Fest. Whether you love seafood or just want to browse and enjoy the day's festivities, this'll be a thrilling spot to hit this summer. The food here is practically endless—it features an entire food court with everything you could dream of, served up by top notch local restaurants. Several contests will be underway, such as the famed All-You-Can-Eat Clams contest.

When: Thursday, July 31 - Sunday, August 3

Where: Highlands, NJ

Cost: Free Admission & Parking

15. 6th Annual Visionary Tattoo Arts Festival.

Check out this wild event on the Asbury Park boardwalk, where 150 of the world's most talented tattoo artists will be featuring their work and freshly tatting attendees on the spot. If you have tattoos or want to get one yourself, be sure not to miss this. Live music will be rocking through the weekend, accompanied by a tattoo contest, skateboarding, and more fun surprises.

When: July 24, 25 & 26

Where: Asbury Park, NJ

Cost: Day Pass: $20, Weekend Pass: $40

16. Sharrott Winery's Live Music Series.

If you love wine and live music, be sure to check out one of Sharrott's several Live Music Wine Tastings. Often times, restaurants are scheduled to come and cater the event as well. If your whole party doesn't want to drink, they're still more than welcome to enjoy the food and music—attendance is free!

When: Weekends, All Summer

Where: Hammonton

Cost: Free admission, Wine Tasting $8/person

17. Palisades Interstate Park Hikes.

This iconic park boasts over 100,000 acres of lush land overlooking the Hudson River. With trails ranging from Easy to Challenging, you'll find yourself stumbling through historic landmarks, breathtaking views, waterfalls, and quiet rest spots.

When: Year-Round

Where: Alpine, NJ

Cost: Free

18. Beatlemania.

This incredible Beatles cover band is famous nationwide for its exceptional talent and closeness to the original crew. Get tickets for a one-of-a-kind opportunity to sing along to your favorite Beatles classics.

When: Sunday, August 2

Where: Red Bank, NJ

Cost: $45/person

19. PNC Bank Arts Center Summer Concerts.

This is one of the premiere music venues throughout the Northeast. This summer's lineup is star-studded with big names like Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, Incubus, J. Cole, Meek Mill, Sublime, Big Sean, and onward. Whether it's Country or Hip-Hop, you're guaranteed to recognize some of your favorites on PNC's schedule.

When: Summer-Long

Where: Holmdel, NJ

Cost: Varies

20. Mercer County Park Commission Kayak Tours.

Try your hand at this enduring sport through Mercer Lake's newest program. You'll have the chance to get up close with the park's beautiful wildlife and foliage, while catching some rays in the process.

When: Friday, July 3, Friday, August 14 & 28, & Wednesday, September 10

Where: Trenton, NJ

Cost: $22/person

21. Summer Laurita Food Trucks.

This is New Jersey's premiere food truck event, held at Laurita Winery. No, this isn't like Manhattan food trucks—what you'll find here is the most high-end eats in the food industry. Click the link for a complete list of all vendors attending, and to see what other fun things are included in the cover charge.

When: Saturday, July 18 & Sunday, July 19

Where: New Egypt, NJ

Cost: $8/person

22. Promenade of Mermaids.

This one's for those who like a little exotic flair. This new event asks you to come and put on an exciting display of sea culture—awards for best dressed and other categories! Bring little kids to indulge in the thrilling fantasy of living under the sea. Festivities will take place right on the Asbury Park Boardwalk.

When: Saturday, July 11

Where: Asbury Park, NJ

Cost: Free with pre-registration, $5 at the door

23. First Fridays at Trenton's Social.

With Trenton's art scene growing rapidly, Trenton's Social supports both up-and-coming and established artists by adorning its walls with a new collection on the first Friday of every month. If you enjoy a cultured art scene and a night of drinking and appetizers, be sure to make this stop at some point this summer. Art is on display at all times.

When: July 5 - Dave DeForne's "In Reverie" Collection

Where: Trenton, NJ

Cost: Price of meal

24. The Color Run.

We pretty much guarantee that you've heard of this one. Gather together with your friends, grab your sorority sisters or bring family members out for this fun and popular run.

When: Friday, September 5

Where: Englishtown, NJ

Cost: $35/person

25. Monmouth Park Labor Day Weekend BBQ & Craft Beer Festival.

Did you watch American Pharaoh snatch the Triple Crown this year and get an inherent itching to attend one of these horse race soirees yourself? Break out that floppy hat, you have an excuse to wear it! Be sure to also check out beer tastings, live music, and delicious BBQ eats!

When: Saturday, September 5 - Monday, September 7

Where: Oceanport, NJ

Cost: See website