The 10 Best Things About Living With Your Best Friends

People let me tell you 'bout my best friends (and roommates).

55
Taylor Feldschneider

If you have never had a random roommate selection, consider yourself lucky. Constantly worrying if what you are doing is OK, or if your roommate cares if you dance around to your favorite Beyoncé song - the anxiety and confusion never end. But imagine you never have to worry about this because you live with people who adore you. You live with people who put up with your nonsense, coddle you when you’re sick and listen to the same story over and over. Imagine you live with your best friends.

For the past two years of my life, I have been lucky enough to call my roommates my best friends. Though most nights it feels like a sleepover, like any friendship, as Beyoncé says, “There are ups and downs in this love.” However, knowing someone not only has your back, BUT ALSO makes sure you get home safely is really amazing.

While living with your best friends can be complicated, I have decided there are more positives than negatives.

1. Unlimited Food

Remember when you forgot to go to the food store and stock up on your food for the week and all you have is agony and despair? Well, don’t worry, because if your best friend is making themselves a gourmet meal, they more than likely will make you one, too. Sometimes your best friend will actually split their own meal with you when they can see your hunger pangs got the best of you. And the greatest part, if you all don’t have food, you can complain about the situation OR order a pizza. Either way, you will always have food to eat and someone to eat with.

2. Brutal Honesty

Does your outfit look good? Does your paper suck? Is your new love interest a total loser? Don’t worry, because your best friends and roomies will tell you. I can’t even begin to count the times my roommates have critiqued my academic papers (in fact, my roommate even read this article before I posted it). Having a group of friends that will always give their honest feedback is extremely helpful. You know they are not coming from a place of jealousy or anger, but they are only looking out for your best interest and aren’t afraid to tell it to you straight.

3. Extended Closet

Why would I spend money on new clothing when I can search through my roommates’ closets? I have probably saved a couple hundred dollars on new clothing because my roommates and I have shared clothing, even before we gave each other the title of roommates. Whether going out on the town or wanting to have a new look for class, your best friends’ closets are always open for business and willing to help you improve your fashion sense. Continuing with the brutal honesty, neither you or your roommate (and bestie) would ever let each other wear ugly clothing and you know each other’s specific style better than anyone.

4. Late Night Heart-to-Hearts

You know when you have a problem you just can’t get off your mind? Well, fortunately for you, you have best friends who not only have to listen (because they live with you) but also are genuinely concerned for your wellbeing. Holding in your feelings is the least healthy thing you can do. Having your roommates listen to your problems helps release all of your stress and their advice is usually awesome. Don’t forget to listen when they need your help, too. Being the friend that’s always the talker demotes you from best friend to annoying roommate real quickly.

5. Unwilling but Obligatory Photographer

If you are always dressing to the nines, why not always have someone to take your photographs? I am in a sorority and I have attended a few fancy nighttime events. My one roommate - not in Greek life and not attending - did not let that stop her from being the photographer for my sisters and me. She took the classic candid shots everyone loves to hate, along with some of me and her. Yes, it may be annoying to hear your best friend say, “Can you take my picture?” But you know it is easier to take the picture than fight it. Also, you know they would do it for you if you needed any kind of impromptu photo shoot.

6. Part Time House Cleaner, Part Time Offender

There is no one more fun to make a mess with than your best friend and roommate. You both live in the same house, so you both are going to have to either blow off or clean up the mess that was made. Instead of having to tiptoe around the problem, when living with your best friend you sometimes don’t mind cleaning up a few messes for them when it’s a give and take relationship. Other times, you can just outright yell at them to clean up their mess. However, if you all take some time to clean up the mess you so enjoyed making, you’ll be happier to make another mess in your newly clean home.

7. Wing Women

We always hear stories of how guys are the best wingmen. BLASPHEMY! My roommates are by far the best wing women I have ever had. Your best friends want you to be happy, and sometimes your happiness stems from flirting with the frat bro in a Hawaiian shirt. Your best friends generally have an idea of when it is the right time to talk, leave, change the subject, etc. Whether they think he is a Grade A hottie or not, they’ll let you have your fun until they know you have a safe way home (if it’s with them or not). So before you go out, make sure you bring your key, mints and, of course, your roommates.

8. Constant Caretaker

There is nothing worse than being sick away from home. Yes, we may all be adults, but even when we are sick, having someone there to take care of you is the best. Because your best friends live with you they (1) don’t want to get sick and (2) don’t want their BFF out of commission for a long time. But it’s not just when you are feeling under the weather. Having someone to constantly make sure you are okay when your heart is broken, you failed a test or you and your parents got into a scuffle, your best friends will always take care of you. Your roommates are essentially your family away from home.

9. Binge Marathons

You know who slightly rivals my roommates in the best friend department? Netflix. But instead of bingeing alone on all of the classics, why not invite your roommates to join in the fun? Vegging out and stuffing your faces with fried food is the definition of a perfect day-after-going-out remedy. And the best part, if you skip a part because you are too busy gossiping about your lives, you can always rewind. Bingeing on all types of shows diversifies your television experience and lets you and your besties have even more in common. *There also will never be a war for the remote*

10. You won’t ever be alone

Do you and your roommates not have plans for the weekend? Well, look no further than each other. Even if it’s having a wine night in or going to the movies, always having a group to hang out with is the most rewarding part of living with your best friends.

As I begin my senior year of college, I know this is one of the last opportunities I will ever have to live with my best friends. I have cherished all of the memories we have made so far and I know this year, our last year, will be the best one yet.