18 Reasons You Should Move to Norway

18 Reasons You Should Move to Norway

Velkommen til Norge!

1887
18 Reasons You Should Move to Norway

1. The arts.

Norway is serious about investing in cultural activities for its citizens to enjoy. Consider Oslo's new opera house, which the state spent $700 million building. We can also thank Norway for Edvard Munch, painter of The Scream. Works from all over the world are featured in the Norwegian National Gallery, such as works from El Greco, Van Gogh, Cezanne, Picasso, Renoir, and Monet.

2. The pay.

3. They Don't Work Themselves to Death

40 hours?! Not in Norway! Here, the average work week is about 33 hours. Norway dispels the myth that in order to support yourself you have to be a part of the rat race.

4. Allemannsrett.

Scandinavian countries are known for their freedom to roam laws, and Norway is no exception. You're allowed to camp on any uncultivated land, which is most of the country. This is meant to cultivate a sense of respect for nature.

5. Kjeragbolten.

Don't think your confined to just taking pictures of this boulder. People are actually allowed to climb on this amazing landmark, assuming you're not afraid of heights!

6. They're filthy rich.

Thanks to the abundance of oil in the North Sea, the state has been able to invest its surplus revenue into a sovereign wealth fund that's value at over $900 billion (about $180,000 per each Norwegian). Norway wants to continue to invest in its citizens into a post-oil world, so it keeps contributing to this rainy day fund. By the way, the picture above is a Norwegian prison.

7. Trolltunga.

Although I won't be reenacting this scene anytime soon, this incredible formation certainly offers one of the most amazing views of Norway's famous fjords.

8. A thriving social democracy.

The Norwegian government takes an active role in providing for its citizens' livelihood. Norwegians receive a year of parental leave, healthcare, free education at all levels, generous retirement, and job training, among other benefits. This is part of the culture of Norway. It ties into their profound advocacy for, and belief in, human rights.

9. The arctic cathedral.

This incredible ultramodernist church was dedicated in the 1960s, and is located in Northern Norway above the Arctic Circle.

10. Aurora borealis.

One of the most awe-inspiring natural phenomena, the Northern Lights can be seen from September to March in the northern areas of Norway.

11. Stave churches.

No, that's not a screenshot from Skyrim. Over 1000 of these incredible structures are believed to have been constructed in Norway, alone. Sadly, only 28 of these historic buildings still stand in the country. But the ones that have survived offer unique tastes of medieval Scandinavian architecture.

12. Gender equality.

Around 40 percent of the Norwegian MPs are women, they've had three female heads of state, including their current PM, Erna Solberg. Additionally, Norway scored higher than average in every metric used in the World Economic Forum's annual Global Gender Gap Report.

13. The environment.

Last year, Norway ranked second in a list of the most environmentally friendly nations. Their network of dams supply around 98 percent of the country's energy needs. They also have carbon tax ($50/ton), the government is on track to bringing the country down to zero carbon emissions by 2030.

14. Torghatten.

This incredible mountain features a distinctive hole, which was formed during the last ice age.

15. The Seven Sisters.

The magnificent Geiranger Fjord is home to this incredible waterfall. Norwegian folklore tells us that these seven ladies are all dancing for their suitor across the way (the single waterfall on the other side of the fjord).

16. The midnight sun.

This seemingly impossible phenomena is visible in northern Norway during the summertime. Hopefully, you have thick curtains when you want to get some shut-eye!

17. Preikestolen.

This iconic rock formation rises almost 2,000 feet over the Lyseford in the southwest of Norway.

18. Oslo.

The seat of government and epicenter of Norwegian culture, this cosmopolitan city has attractions to rival that of more famous European capitals. Who wouldn't want to take a stroll to the city centre and dine on some delicious Gravlaks?