15 Rock Albums To Look Out For In 2016

15 Rock Albums To Look Out For In 2016

2016 is turning out to be a great year for rock fans, but there are many more albums yet to come.

20
15 Rock Albums To Look Out For In 2016
Patrick Lombardi

With albums by 3 Doors Down, Black Stone Cherry, and the late David Bowie already out and circulating earlier this year, and with more quality rock albums to come, 2016 is turning out to be a great year for fans of the genre. In the next eight months, there will be a ton of cool albums—including these 15—coming out that you will have to keep an eye out for.

1. Eric Clapton, I Still Do

Eric Clapton just celebrated his 71st birthday at the end of March, yet he is still rocking harder than most musicians half his age (that’s probably what the title of his upcoming album signifies). There’s a ton to say about this album, but if you like Clapton—and if you took the time to check out this article, I’m sure you do—then you won’t need to hear them to know that this is a record worth looking out for when it is released on May 20th. There’s even a Bob Dylan cover on here!

2. Alter Bridge, Untitled 5th Studio Album

Hard rock group Alter Bridge likes to wait three years before releasing another album. And sure enough, at the beginning of this year, Alter Bridge hit the studio, and they plan to release their fifth studio album sometime in the very late summer or early fall (most likely September). For fans, this is a highly anticipated release. All four of their albums are innovative hard rock masterpieces, and we’re all sure the 5th will follow suit.

3. Relient K, Air For Free

Relient K is one of those bands that truly releases a new album; no two albums are ever identical in sound. They try new things, toy with various arrangements, change the subject matter of their lyrics. And their eighth studio album, Air For Free, is probably going to be another creative effort. They released a catchy and thought-provoking song in February titled, “Look on Up,” which unfortunately will not be on this record. But for those of us who have been following the band for well over a decade, we are extremely excited for this one.

4. Brand New, Untitled 5th Studio Album

So this one has been an album nearly seven years in the making. Writing sessions for their fifth studio album began not long after Daisy was released in 2009. The style of this next record is supposed to go in an alternate direction from Daisy. Fans have been waiting for almost seven years to hear some brand new Brand New material, and in a speech last October, Jesse Lacey, the band’s lead vocalist and guitarist, said fans won’t have to wait much longer. They’re shooting for a 2016 release, but no specific time-frame has been stated yet.

5. Modest Mouse, Whatever (Rumored Title)

Last year, Modest Mouse released their sixth studio album, Strangers to Ourselves. Soon after, lead singer Isaac Brock stated that a follow-up album was being made. The band said they’d try to release it as soon as “legally” possible, which may be sometime in the summer, since Modest Mouse will embark on a co-headlining tour with Brand New in the United States this summer. As of right now, we know the title may be Whatever, and Brock has also told Hot Press that the album will feature former Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic.

6. The Offspring, Untitled 10th Studio Album

In the beginning of 2015, The Offspring released the single “Coming for You,” which rocked; however, the band’s frontman, Dexter Holland, explicitly stated that a tenth studio album was unfinished at that time. Then, in an interview late last year, guitarist Noodles said that they were looking for a 2016 release. So keep an eye out for this one.

7. Weezer, Weezer (also known as The White Album)

Rivers Cuomo, Weezer’s lead vocalist and lead guitarist, described Weezer as a “beach album” after extensively hanging around people from Los Angeles, Venice, Santa Monica, and other California cities while working on this record. Cuomo even said he specifically used Tinder to meet people for song ideas, some of which appear on this album. John Sinclair, the album’s producer, said he wants Weezer to have the “brashness and unpredictability of Pinkerton with the summer Beach Boys grunge pop of the Blue Album.” The album was released this month, so look out for it when you hit your local record store.

8. Tremonti, Dust

Only a year ago, Tremonti, headed by Alter Bridge lead guitarist Mark Tremonti, released their second studio album, Cauterize. It was another hard-hitting record, just like his debut, All I Was. Shortly, after Cauterize was released, Tremonti said a second part to their sophomore album would be released in 2016. Sure enough, on April 29th, Tremonti will be releasing their third studio album titled Dust. The Alter Bridge guitarist grew up listening to speed and thrash metal, and that influence is highly prevalent on these three albums, which is a departure from his other work.

9. Santana, Santana IV

For the first time in 43 years, the best incarnation of Santana has finally reunited and released a dynamite record. Santana IV features 16 energetic songs that are reminiscent of their work in the late 1960s. Like a fine wine, the dynamic skills of each member of the group has gotten better with age, and this album, which came out last week, is a must-have for all Santana fans.

10. Blink-182, Untitled 7th Studio Album

Almost five years ago, Blink-182 released their most recent album, Neighborhoods. Since then, they’ve been very busy, but they haven’t released another album other than their EP Dogs Eating Dogs in 2012. Last year, they talked about new songs they were writing, and their first single, “Bored to Death,” from their untitled seventh studio album, will be released on May 3rd. Though no dates have been mentioned yet, Blink-182 is looking at a 2016 release for their next LP.

11. Bob Dylan, Fallen Angels

So maybe Bob Dylan falls more into the category of folk, but he still rocks, and he’s releasing an album sometime this year. Dylan’s 37th studio album will most likely hit the racks of your favorite record stores on May 20th. The album’s titled Fallen Angels, and it features covers of 12 American classics. Dylan will also be embarking on a tour in Japan and in the United States in support of Fallen Angels.

12. U2, Songs of Experience

A couple of years ago, people started freaking out when U2’s album, Songs of Innocence, mysteriously appeared on their iPhones. But the album wasn’t half bad, so all the people complaining were just blowing hot air. Since then, U2 has been working on new music, and The Edge says that the new album will probably be titled Songs of Experience. The album will most likely be out sometime in 2016, so keep an eye out for it if you dig this Irish band.

13. Rival Sons, Hollow Bones

The American rock group Rival Sons has only been around since 2009, but they’re already on their fifth studio album. Hollow Bones, which is due out on June 10th, is another great addition to their catalog. You can find a taste of the album on YouTube, and I highly suggest you check it out since you’ll have to wait another two months before the album itself comes out.

14. Bon Jovi, This House is Not for Sale

Jon Bon Jovi has kept very busy since his introduction into the music industry well over three decades ago. Now this New Jersey-native has a new album coming out this year. The band’s 14th studio album will be titled This House is Not for Sale, and during a press conference, Bon Jovi stated that the concept of the album revolved around “integrity.” No specific release date has been given yet, but it will probably be out sometime this fall.

15. Avenged Sevenfold, Untitled 7th Studio Album

Maybe Avenged Sevenfold is more metal than rock, but this list wouldn’t be a nice round “15” without them on it. The band began writing for their seventh studio album during the summer of 2015, and not long after, they entered the studio. There has been no confirmed release date for this upcoming project, but the band has posted a teaser for the album on their website. So don’t forget to look out for it later on in the year.