SCORE MY LIFE: A Love That Shouldn't Last

The Playlist for Everyone Who's Ever Had the Misfortune to Learn to Love

5
Elle Eccles

If you had no other day of the year inviting you to show some love to the ones in your life you'd rather not live without, Sunday would very well be enough. This is the day of love we’re talking about, and it isn’t just about romantic love as everyone suggests. My father used to gift me a rose on the 14th of February every year; my mother always brings me a bundle of chocolates; And let’s not forget those lollipop classroom cards that we used to pass out in grade school. Regardless of whether you gave one or five to that cute boy or girl who caught your eye that year, those suckers were invented specifically for the purpose of sharing the love. Valentine's Day is about expressing your affection — for anyone, for any reason, regardless of who holds your heart this February.

Still, I should probably just tell you: Valentine’s Day is my favorite day of the year. More so than Christmas, more so than my own birthday, more even than my anniversary with my wildly wonderful miracle of a man — and yes, it’s been so since before I met him. I learned from long ago that this day is about more than just carnal connection or romantic gestures, so for anyone who feels disinclined to celebrate romance this 14th, remember your friends! Still, I do love me some romance, and I do recognize that Sunday won’t be a celebration for everyone. So for all those who will pop confetti-for-one in honor of Single’s Day and curse the art of human connection while watching some mediocre and convoluted romance comedy on Sunday afternoon, this playlist is for you, too. Perhaps everyone should have a bit of love and heartbreak in their life every now and then; after all, that's how you know living is worthwhile.

I've compiled a list of 21 love songs and anti-love songs that you're not likely to hear on the radio. On the topic of being in and out of love, you won't find a better life score this side of Valentine's Day. Where on this playlist does the 14th find you this year?

1. The Virgin Love Song

"Stranger to Love" - Charles Perry

2. The Pining Love Song

"Give Me A Try" - The Wombats

3. The Lust Song

"Desire" - Years & Years

4. The Hook-Up Song

"My Type" - Saint Motel

5. The Carnal-Carnival Love Song

"American Money" - BØRNS

6. The Commitment Love Song

"One time" - Marian Hill

7. The Casual Love Song

"If You Ever Want to Be In Love" - James Bay

8. The Lovesick Love Song

"Kiss Me Quick "- Nathan Sykes

9. The Save-Me-From-Myself Love Song

"Hollow" - Tori Kelly, Big Sean

10. The Shit-I'm-in-Deep Love Song

"Get My Name" - Mark Ballas

11. The Blasphemous Love Song

"Holy Ghost" - BØRNS

12. The Guilty-Pleasure Love Song

"Last Vice" - Ida Maria

13. The Destructive Love Song

"The Trouble With Us" - Marcus Marr, Chet Faker

14. The Monstrous-Bickering Love Song

"2 Heads" - Coleman Hell

15. The Good-Old-Days Anti-Love Song

"Coming Up Easy" - Paolo Nutini

16. The Bye-For-My-Own-Good Anti-Love Song

"Up For Now" - KING

17. The Relapse Anti-Love Song

"Overdose" - Alessia Cara

18. The Crash-And-Burn Anti-Love Song

"Set On Fire" - Magic Giant

19. The Breakup-Good-Riddance Anti-Love Song

"Thanks For Nothing" - Brandy Burnette

20. The Eff-You Anti-Love Song

"You're Such A" - Hailee Steinfeld

21. The I-Miss-You Love Song

"Who Are You Loving Now?" - Danny Mercer

BONUS!

Just because I'm a romantic and truly believe that some love stories have an epilogue that somehow brings back all the hope and healing you feel you will ever need in life... And because some tales are really just as simple as two souls coming together because they can't stand to stay apart.

22. The I-Still-Need-You Love Song

"Scars" - James Bay

23. The Simple-as-That Love Song

"Love Always Wins" - Mikey Wax, Prophesy